07/11/12 16:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Christie’s is offering rare, highly sought-after art from Andy Warhol including his 1966 canvas of a leather-clad Marlon Brando on a motorcycle and his Statue of Liberty.
Gerhard Richter’s “Abstraktes Bild (779-2)” is among the 74 pieces in the Post-war and Contemporary sale. As is Roy Lichenstein’s “Nude With Red Shirt”. An early painting by a 20-year-old Jean-Michel Basquiat “Untitled” (1981), a large, colourful acrylic and oil stick on canvas work depicting a skeletal fisherman and his catch is also available.
Meanwhile rival house Sotheby’s will offer Claude Monet’s “Champ de Ble”, Jean-Michel Basquiat’s “Onion Gum” as well as several works by Pablo Picasso. His “Plant de Tomate” is expected to fetch between 7 and 12 million euro and Nature Morte aux Tulipes between 27 and 39 million euro.
Soaring prices have encouraged owners to offer prized possesions for sale while super-wealthy collectors from Russian tycoons to institutional buyers in Qatar are snapping them up.
Sotheby’s set the auction record for any work of art in May, with Edvard Munch’s “The Scream”, which sold for over 90 million euro.
The auctions will take place between November 8 and 14.
- 1Leonardo Da Vinci – the imagination and inventions of a genius
- 214-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 3The Survivalist charts ruthlessness of a post-apocalyptic world
- 4Inside a ceramic master’s workshop
- 5Vogue celebrates its 100th birthday in style at London’s National Portrait Gallery
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
latest le mag news
Madame X takes to the stage in Strapless, a Royal Ballet production inspired by a scandalous painting
Vogue celebrates its 100th birthday in style at London’s National Portrait Gallery
Leonardo Da Vinci – the imagination and inventions of a genius
New York Fashion Week sees bloggers step to the fore
Jimi Hendrix’s London flat opens to the public