Supporters of Barack Obama savoured his election win at the Democratic Party’s election headquarters on Wednesday.
They’d waited nervously all night, but the good news came in earlier this morning that Republican Challenger Mitt Romney had conceded defeat.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe was on the floor of the McCormick Convention Centre in Chicago.
“I’m ecstatic. This is what America wanted and this is what we have done. We waited a long time, now we can relax and calm down,” one female voter said.
Another Obama campaigner called the incumbent’s win “exhilarating.”
“We just went to Iowa, we were there for six hours, and we just found out we won. It’s great!,” she said.
Obama will sworn in for his second term on January 21st, which is when the US celebrates Martin Luther King Day.
Our correspondent said that “Barack Obama’s reelection is a victory of historic proportions.
“In the 20th century, only three Democrats were elected president and reelected. His biggest problem now is the fact that the country remains deeply divided,” said Stefan Grobe.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus