Supporters of Barack Obama savoured his election win at the Democratic Party’s election headquarters on Wednesday.
They’d waited nervously all night, but the good news came in earlier this morning that Republican Challenger Mitt Romney had conceded defeat.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe was on the floor of the McCormick Convention Centre in Chicago.
“I’m ecstatic. This is what America wanted and this is what we have done. We waited a long time, now we can relax and calm down,” one female voter said.
Another Obama campaigner called the incumbent’s win “exhilarating.”
“We just went to Iowa, we were there for six hours, and we just found out we won. It’s great!,” she said.
Obama will sworn in for his second term on January 21st, which is when the US celebrates Martin Luther King Day.
Our correspondent said that “Barack Obama’s reelection is a victory of historic proportions.
“In the 20th century, only three Democrats were elected president and reelected. His biggest problem now is the fact that the country remains deeply divided,” said Stefan Grobe.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > News
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians