Supporters of Barack Obama savoured his election win at the Democratic Party’s election headquarters on Wednesday.
They’d waited nervously all night, but the good news came in earlier this morning that Republican Challenger Mitt Romney had conceded defeat.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe was on the floor of the McCormick Convention Centre in Chicago.
“I’m ecstatic. This is what America wanted and this is what we have done. We waited a long time, now we can relax and calm down,” one female voter said.
Another Obama campaigner called the incumbent’s win “exhilarating.”
“We just went to Iowa, we were there for six hours, and we just found out we won. It’s great!,” she said.
Obama will sworn in for his second term on January 21st, which is when the US celebrates Martin Luther King Day.
Our correspondent said that “Barack Obama’s reelection is a victory of historic proportions.
“In the 20th century, only three Democrats were elected president and reelected. His biggest problem now is the fact that the country remains deeply divided,” said Stefan Grobe.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Israeli launches night time air strikes on Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 14:24 CET At least 30 people killed in Libya’s Benghazi in heavy fighting
- 13:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 quake hits Mexico, no major damages or injuries
- 13:37 CET Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine in fierce fighting
- 13:33 CET Islamic State video wages psychological war on Iraqi soldiers
- 12:51 CET Philippines to propose no action to raise tension in sea disputes
- 12:36 CET Special Report – Where Ukraine’s separatists get their weapons
- 11:54 CET China’s war games don’t faze Japan but disrupt civilian air traffic
- 10:54 CET South Africa metals workers start returning to job after four-week…