Supporters of Barack Obama savoured his election win at the Democratic Party’s election headquarters on Wednesday.
They’d waited nervously all night, but the good news came in earlier this morning that Republican Challenger Mitt Romney had conceded defeat.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe was on the floor of the McCormick Convention Centre in Chicago.
“I’m ecstatic. This is what America wanted and this is what we have done. We waited a long time, now we can relax and calm down,” one female voter said.
Another Obama campaigner called the incumbent’s win “exhilarating.”
“We just went to Iowa, we were there for six hours, and we just found out we won. It’s great!,” she said.
Obama will sworn in for his second term on January 21st, which is when the US celebrates Martin Luther King Day.
Our correspondent said that “Barack Obama’s reelection is a victory of historic proportions.
“In the 20th century, only three Democrats were elected president and reelected. His biggest problem now is the fact that the country remains deeply divided,” said Stefan Grobe.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 07:37 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 07:33 CET China plans railway to India, Nepal borders by 2020
- 07:30 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved