Barack Obama re-elected, with this second term extended his historic feat of 2008, as America’s first mixed race president.
He was born in Hawaii, of a Kenyan father – an economist – one of the country’s first foreign African students, and a white mother, from Wichita, Kansas. That was in 1961.
His mother was later married a second time, to an Indonesian, and young Barack Obama spent four years in Jakarta. On his return to Hawaii he was raised by his grandmother, and would go on to study law at Columbia and Harvard.
His political career saw him first state then national Senator of Illinois, which also prepared him for his first term as president, when the US faced its worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. His strategy was slow to bear fruit but at last, in September this year, unemployment eased slightly, descending below eight percent for the first time since January 2009.
At the same time as wrestling with the economy, the president and the Democrats engineered groundbreaking healthcare reform – which the Republicans who had resisted it dubbed ‘Obamacare’.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act aims to decrease the number of uninsured Americans and reduce the overall costs of health care.
Obama’s foreign policy triumph was the killing of enemy number one, Osama Bin Laden, in May 2011.
On Obama’s watch, the demise of the author of the 2001 terrorist attacks against the US lifted morale across the political divide.
The young president, now 51, wise to the power of Internet communication, also dotcommed his way to winning a second term.
Obama voted 12 days early, the first American head of state to avail himself of the possibility offered in several states.
- 1Myanmar refuses sole responsibility in Rohingya migrant crisis
- 2Russia ‘amassing artillery’ near border with eastern Ukraine, reports suggest
- 3Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 4Putin classifies Russian troop deaths during peacetime a state secret
- 5Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 12EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 13How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:53 CET Russian aircraft head off U.S. destroyer in Black Sea – RIA
- 17:51 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 air strikes against Islamic State…
- 16:37 CET Gunmen shoot dead two soldiers in south of Thailand – police
- 16:26 CET Police break up unsanctioned gay rally in central Moscow
- 13:37 CET Myanmar lands seized migrant boat on island
- 13:26 CET Gunmen kill 22 bus passengers in Pakistan attack
- 13:16 CET U.S. says China’s island-building erodes security; Beijing angered
- 12:20 CET U.S.-Egyptian released from Egypt jail-family