Barack Obama re-elected, with this second term extended his historic feat of 2008, as America’s first mixed race president.
He was born in Hawaii, of a Kenyan father – an economist – one of the country’s first foreign African students, and a white mother, from Wichita, Kansas. That was in 1961.
His mother was later married a second time, to an Indonesian, and young Barack Obama spent four years in Jakarta. On his return to Hawaii he was raised by his grandmother, and would go on to study law at Columbia and Harvard.
His political career saw him first state then national Senator of Illinois, which also prepared him for his first term as president, when the US faced its worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. His strategy was slow to bear fruit but at last, in September this year, unemployment eased slightly, descending below eight percent for the first time since January 2009.
At the same time as wrestling with the economy, the president and the Democrats engineered groundbreaking healthcare reform – which the Republicans who had resisted it dubbed ‘Obamacare’.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act aims to decrease the number of uninsured Americans and reduce the overall costs of health care.
Obama’s foreign policy triumph was the killing of enemy number one, Osama Bin Laden, in May 2011.
On Obama’s watch, the demise of the author of the 2001 terrorist attacks against the US lifted morale across the political divide.
The young president, now 51, wise to the power of Internet communication, also dotcommed his way to winning a second term.
Obama voted 12 days early, the first American head of state to avail himself of the possibility offered in several states.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 4Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 5Blast rocks Donetsk chemical plant
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:30 CET Islamic State advances against Yadizis on Iraq’s Sinjar mountain
- 18:07 CET Consumed by Islamic State, Iraq’s Anbar province a key…
- 17:55 CET Nurse infected with Ebola in Spain cleared of disease
- 17:49 CET Turkish PM unveils tighter security steps after deadly protests
- 17:45 CET Egypt court sets January 1 appeal date for Al Jazeera journalists
- 17:43 CET Canadian soldier dies after being run down by suspected militant
- 17:38 CET Iran arrests several spies near Bushehr nuclear plant – Fars news…
- 17:11 CET Veteran Chinese democracy activist Chen Ziming dies from cancer