Barack Obama re-elected, with this second term extended his historic feat of 2008, as America’s first mixed race president.
He was born in Hawaii, of a Kenyan father – an economist – one of the country’s first foreign African students, and a white mother, from Wichita, Kansas. That was in 1961.
His mother was later married a second time, to an Indonesian, and young Barack Obama spent four years in Jakarta. On his return to Hawaii he was raised by his grandmother, and would go on to study law at Columbia and Harvard.
His political career saw him first state then national Senator of Illinois, which also prepared him for his first term as president, when the US faced its worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. His strategy was slow to bear fruit but at last, in September this year, unemployment eased slightly, descending below eight percent for the first time since January 2009.
At the same time as wrestling with the economy, the president and the Democrats engineered groundbreaking healthcare reform – which the Republicans who had resisted it dubbed ‘Obamacare’.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act aims to decrease the number of uninsured Americans and reduce the overall costs of health care.
Obama’s foreign policy triumph was the killing of enemy number one, Osama Bin Laden, in May 2011.
On Obama’s watch, the demise of the author of the 2001 terrorist attacks against the US lifted morale across the political divide.
The young president, now 51, wise to the power of Internet communication, also dotcommed his way to winning a second term.
Obama voted 12 days early, the first American head of state to avail himself of the possibility offered in several states.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:11 CET Nepal scrambles to organise quake relief, many flee capital
- 17:01 CET U.S., Japan unveil new defence guidelines for global Japanese role
- 16:43 CET Germany says border guards will try to keep Russian bikers out
- 16:11 CET U.S.‘s Kerry, Iran’s Zarif to meet at U.N. anti-nuclear arms…
- 16:07 CET Opposition says 1,000 killed in Angola clash with religious sect
- 15:28 CET Sanctions on Russia should be tied to fulfilling Minsk deal -…
- 15:23 CET Putin accuses ‘quasi-partners’ of counting on Russia collapse
- 15:14 CET Indonesia rebuffs last-ditch bids to delay drug – convict…