Barack Obama, took to the stage in his home city of Chicago, shortly after being re-elected as the president of the United States.
Alongside the first lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia, he promised better days ahead.
“I believe we can keep the promise of our founders, the idea that if you’re willing to work hard, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or where you love. It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try.”
It was the Democrats moment, and they savoured it. But Obama has pledged to work with Republicans in the years to come.
A twitter post by the President saying “four more years” and showing a photo of him embracing his wife has become the most retweeted message ever. It has been passed on more than half a million times.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 4The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
Kenya police break up CORD opposition protests against ‘electoral bias’
Controversial World Humanitarian Summit opens
Germany’s Merkel tells Turkey to meet all terms for visa-free travel
A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
Wires > News
- 02:34 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 02:20 CET Facebook says found no political bias on Trending Topics
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader
- 22:37 CET Italy helps rescue 2,600 migrants from sea in 24 hours
- 22:27 CET Saudi border guard killed, three wounded in mine blast-agency