Barack Obama, took to the stage in his home city of Chicago, shortly after being re-elected as the president of the United States.
Alongside the first lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia, he promised better days ahead.
“I believe we can keep the promise of our founders, the idea that if you’re willing to work hard, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or where you love. It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try.”
It was the Democrats moment, and they savoured it. But Obama has pledged to work with Republicans in the years to come.
A twitter post by the President saying “four more years” and showing a photo of him embracing his wife has become the most retweeted message ever. It has been passed on more than half a million times.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Wires > News
- 13:48 CET EU’s Juncker after Brexit – ‘Everyone wants EU reforms – but what…
- 13:46 CET Syria rebels retake key town in western coastal province -…
- 13:38 CET EU prolongs economic sanctions on Russia until 31 Jan 2017
- 12:45 CET Austrian presidential election must be re-run, court rules
- 12:44 CET Russia stresses need for joint fight with Turkey against terrorism
- 12:42 CET Two Romanians charged in Hungary for leaving 100 migrants in…
- 12:33 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 12:31 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…