Newspaper sellers in New York were doing good business today. The headlines said it all: “Obama’s night”, “Obama Triumphs” and “Barack for More.” It truly was Obama’s night. In a tightly run contest, Barack Obama had got 303 electoral votes, well over the 270 needed to win. A second presidential term was his.
Supporters of Barack Obama braved near freezing temperatures in Times Square to chant their support.
But these New Yorkers expect action from their newly re-elected President.
One woman said: “I just want him to finish what he started, I think he has had a tough task ahead when he started and I think now he can be able to complete and finish a lot of his promises that he started in the first 4 years.”
Another added: “I’d like to see the health care reform to continue, I am actually really for that. I know that Obama made birth control and contraceptions free, I thinks that’s really great stuff.”
- 1Greece: polls open in knife-edge referendum
- 2Tunisia: State of emergency declared after Islamist terror attack on tourists
- 3Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 4The Corinth Canal: a metaphor for the feeling of division in Greece?
- 5Syria: Fierce fighting as Assad army and rebels push to make key gains
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 08:12 CET China arrests man for suicide ‘rumours’ amid stock market rout -…
- 07:04 CET Colombia peace process now at lowest ebb – government
- 01:50 CET America celebrates July 4 with hot dogs, banners and barbecues
- 01:32 CET China lobbies hard ahead of Manila’s South China Sea arbitration…
- 01:27 CET Small is beautiful, say South Koreans making plans to marry
- 01:06 CET Pope heads to South America to champion the poor and the planet
- 23:03 CET Hillary Clinton accuses China of hacking U.S. computers
- 21:49 CET Suspected Congo Ebola victims test negative for the virus