Newspaper sellers in New York were doing good business today. The headlines said it all: “Obama’s night”, “Obama Triumphs” and “Barack for More.” It truly was Obama’s night. In a tightly run contest, Barack Obama had got 303 electoral votes, well over the 270 needed to win. A second presidential term was his.
Supporters of Barack Obama braved near freezing temperatures in Times Square to chant their support.
But these New Yorkers expect action from their newly re-elected President.
One woman said: “I just want him to finish what he started, I think he has had a tough task ahead when he started and I think now he can be able to complete and finish a lot of his promises that he started in the first 4 years.”
Another added: “I’d like to see the health care reform to continue, I am actually really for that. I know that Obama made birth control and contraceptions free, I thinks that’s really great stuff.”
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 23:52 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term