Newspaper sellers in New York were doing good business today. The headlines said it all: “Obama’s night”, “Obama Triumphs” and “Barack for More.” It truly was Obama’s night. In a tightly run contest, Barack Obama had got 303 electoral votes, well over the 270 needed to win. A second presidential term was his.
Supporters of Barack Obama braved near freezing temperatures in Times Square to chant their support.
But these New Yorkers expect action from their newly re-elected President.
One woman said: “I just want him to finish what he started, I think he has had a tough task ahead when he started and I think now he can be able to complete and finish a lot of his promises that he started in the first 4 years.”
Another added: “I’d like to see the health care reform to continue, I am actually really for that. I know that Obama made birth control and contraceptions free, I thinks that’s really great stuff.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Mystery in the heart of Paris as cocaine stash goes missing from police HQ
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 4Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 5EU targets top Russian officials in new sanctions
Wires > News
- 07:33 CET Factory blast in east China kills at least 65 – state TV
- 05:12 CET Bible left in North Korean sailor’s club triggered U.S. tourist’s…
- 04:50 CET Australia sends 157 asylum seekers to Nauru detention centre
- 01:02 CET NATO must change to better repel Russian threat – Cameron
- 22:40 CET African leaders agree steps to fight runaway Ebola outbreak
- 22:36 CET Obama says that after 9/11, ‘we tortured some folks’
- 21:35 CET North Korea accuses U.N. Security Council of double standards
- 20:24 CET Ten killed in clashes between Azeris, ethnic Armenians