Newspaper sellers in New York were doing good business today. The headlines said it all: “Obama’s night”, “Obama Triumphs” and “Barack for More.” It truly was Obama’s night. In a tightly run contest, Barack Obama had got 303 electoral votes, well over the 270 needed to win. A second presidential term was his.
Supporters of Barack Obama braved near freezing temperatures in Times Square to chant their support.
But these New Yorkers expect action from their newly re-elected President.
One woman said: “I just want him to finish what he started, I think he has had a tough task ahead when he started and I think now he can be able to complete and finish a lot of his promises that he started in the first 4 years.”
Another added: “I’d like to see the health care reform to continue, I am actually really for that. I know that Obama made birth control and contraceptions free, I thinks that’s really great stuff.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal