07/11/12 16:47 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
German Chancellor Angela Merkel called on fellow European leaders on Wednesday to agree an ambitious, concrete plan for closer fiscal and economic integration next month that can then be put in place over the next two to three years.
In a speech to the European Parliament in Brussels, Merkel said the crisis-hit currency bloc could only win back confidence by pressing ahead with economic reforms and laying out a roadmap for deeper unity.
“I will work to ensure that we agree an ambitious roadmap in December for renewing our economic and monetary union,” Merkel said. “It should include concrete measures that we can implement over the coming two to three years.”
EU leaders are due to meet in mid-December to discuss changes to the rules governing their common currency, including closer coordination of economic policies.
Merkel set out four elements in her speech, including harmonising financial market regulation, closer fiscal and
economic policy integration, and steps to ensure greater democratic legitimacy for decisions taken at the European level.
She reiterated her support for giving European institutions new rights to intervene in national budgets when they violated EU rules. She also spoke of the need for closer coordination of labour and tax policies, while making clear that the sovereignty of member states in these areas must be respected.
Despite her push for a “deeper” union, Merkel made clear that she did not want a two-speed Europe, dividing members of the currency bloc from those EU members which do not use the euro.
After her appearance in Brussels, Merkel is due to travel to London to meet with British Prime Minister David Cameron amid a standoff over the EU’s medium-term budget. Under pressure from euro-sceptics in his party, Cameron is gradually pulling away from Europe to the irritation of EU states including Germany.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 4Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
- 5Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
Pope Francis arrives in Uganda
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
Tour operator threatens to jump from Colosseum in Rome
Wires > News
- 23:11 CET Sweden suspends flights to northern Iraq over security concerns
- 22:33 CET Insight – Voice of Paris attacks; Did he have bigger role?
- 21:53 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’
- 21:51 CET Pope holds private meeting with president of warring South Sudan
- 21:08 CET U.N. chief condemns deadly attack in disputed Abyei region
- 21:06 CET Saudis failed to investigate air strikes on Yemen civilians -…
- 19:58 CET Lebanon PM urges presidential vote after new push to find candidate
- 19:47 CET U.S.‘s Biden, Italy’s Renzi discuss fight against Islamic State -…