European markets fell despite early rises following a favourable response to the re-election of President Obama.
As the day wore on they began to fall as fears over the euro zone took over.
Markets reacted badly to a report by the European Commission predicting that the eurozone economy will sluggish until the end of 2013. The Spanish economy is expected to contract.
Wall street also opened down as investors have one eye on the tax hikes and budget cuts due to kick in December threatening recession. The so-called fiscal cliff.
What the markets fear is another showdown between Republicans and Democrats that led to a downgrade of the US credit rating.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 17:57 CET UK FTSE posts biggest one-day fall in over a week
- 17:43 CET General Electric names Beth Comstock as vice chair
- 17:10 CET Global factory growth at two-year low – PMI
- 16:59 CET Apple explores move into original programming business – Variety
- 16:21 CET China stock probes send shivers through investment community
- 16:19 CET Oil falls more than 4 percent on weak Chinese data
- 15:41 CET National laws hamper ECB’s work as single supervisor – ECB Dickson
- 15:35 CET British peer-to-peer lender Zopa appoints Janardana as CEO