European markets fell despite early rises following a favourable response to the re-election of President Obama.
As the day wore on they began to fall as fears over the euro zone took over.
Markets reacted badly to a report by the European Commission predicting that the eurozone economy will sluggish until the end of 2013. The Spanish economy is expected to contract.
Wall street also opened down as investors have one eye on the tax hikes and budget cuts due to kick in December threatening recession. The so-called fiscal cliff.
What the markets fear is another showdown between Republicans and Democrats that led to a downgrade of the US credit rating.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest market news & analysis
Shares steady as markets shrug off impact of Paris attacks
Toshiba hit by record fine over scandal as sales slump
ECB to prepare fresh hit of QE for Eurozone?
Trip turns into stumble as European markets slump again
Oil price slump resumes as traders see slowdown compound glut
Wires > Business
- 22:20 CET New Jersey sues VW over excess diesel emissions
- 22:12 CET 1957 Ferrari racing car sold at auction for record $35.6 million
- 21:46 CET Eurosytem financial assets grew by 5 percent per year since 2002 -…
- 21:36 CET Burberry, Tom Ford align runway shows with retail availability
- 21:34 CET Rothesay Life in talks to buy Aegon’s UK annuity book – source
- 21:32 CET Exclusive – Obama to propose $2.5 billion tax credit for community…
- 20:41 CET U.S. labor market on solid ground as jobless rate hits eight-year…
- 20:17 CET Billionaire Platt’s BlueCrest under SEC probe over employee fund -…