Europeans have given their views on Barack Obama’s defeat of Mitt Romney.
A recent YouGov poll that surveyed six difference countries found that 90 percent of Europeans favoured the incumbent.
Berlin resident Denny Lyra said: “I think it’s good, better than this rich Mitt Romney. Obama I think is closer to the people than Mitt Romney.”
In Athens, Obama’s victory was splashed across the front page of every newspaper. Residents of the Greek capital praised the result.
Yannos Mitsos, a political science professor, said it “symbolises a victory for Europe – and for the whole world.
“When 90 percent wanted Obama to win, that tells you something. It says that they want more cooperation with the United States, and they want the United States to better understand them,” he said.
Those views were echoed on the streets of Rome. Businessman Mario Alta argued that Romney represented a step backwards for America.
“Obama represents the opposite of what Romney said, Obama is about change,” he said. It is a change that will come about slowly but it will arrive eventually. Romney is a return to an America of 40-50 years ago, an America that no longer exists.”
Romney’s Cold War outlook that Russia is the United States’ number one enemy did not go down well in Moscow.
Darya, a student in the Russian capital, said that if Romney “had come to power in America, it would have impacted Russia very much.”
“He has a totally negative view about Russia. But I would like a bit more stability (with Obama), just a little bit,” she said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scotland referendum results live: the ‘Aye’ road or the ‘No’ road?
- 2UN warns over Ebola as Sierra Leone lockdown begins
- 3Which celebrities are backing Scottish independence?
- 4Scottish Highlands a spectacular battleground in the independence vote
- 5Obama meets Poroshenko in Washington pledging more support for Ukraine
- 1Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 2Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 3Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5US and NATO troops begin military exercises in Ukraine
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:43 CET Australian PM cites ‘chatter’ of attacks on government, parliament
- 02:53 CET U.N. to deploy Ebola mission as death toll reaches 2,630
- 00:57 CET Arab Bank never backed Hamas, lawyer tells U.S. jury
- 00:51 CET Armed Shi’ite rebels push into Yemen’s capital
- 22:49 CET Greek police, protesters clash during rally to mark rapper killing
- 22:10 CET Kurds issue call to arms as Islamic State gains in Syria
- 21:35 CET Three car bombs, mortars kill 23 in Shi’ite Baghdad districts
- 21:07 CET U.N. says five peacekeepers killed, three wounded in Mali blast