Europeans have given their views on Barack Obama’s defeat of Mitt Romney.
A recent YouGov poll that surveyed six difference countries found that 90 percent of Europeans favoured the incumbent.
Berlin resident Denny Lyra said: “I think it’s good, better than this rich Mitt Romney. Obama I think is closer to the people than Mitt Romney.”
In Athens, Obama’s victory was splashed across the front page of every newspaper. Residents of the Greek capital praised the result.
Yannos Mitsos, a political science professor, said it “symbolises a victory for Europe – and for the whole world.
“When 90 percent wanted Obama to win, that tells you something. It says that they want more cooperation with the United States, and they want the United States to better understand them,” he said.
Those views were echoed on the streets of Rome. Businessman Mario Alta argued that Romney represented a step backwards for America.
“Obama represents the opposite of what Romney said, Obama is about change,” he said. It is a change that will come about slowly but it will arrive eventually. Romney is a return to an America of 40-50 years ago, an America that no longer exists.”
Romney’s Cold War outlook that Russia is the United States’ number one enemy did not go down well in Moscow.
Darya, a student in the Russian capital, said that if Romney “had come to power in America, it would have impacted Russia very much.”
“He has a totally negative view about Russia. But I would like a bit more stability (with Obama), just a little bit,” she said.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Beijing to use artificial snow in 2022 winter Olympics
US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
France and Russia ‘reach Mistral compensation deal’
‘Game-changing’ Ebola vaccine is hailed by health experts
Wires > News
- 20:50 CET New York man charged with supporting Islamic State denied bail
- 20:29 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S.-trained rebels
- 20:27 CET Early poll prospects grow as Turkish air strikes muddy coalition…
- 19:58 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S.-trained rebels
- 19:46 CET U.N. nuclear watchdog chief to meet U.S. senators next week
- 19:45 CET Palestinian toddler killed in West Bank; Jewish arsonists suspected
- 19:34 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France – Reuters witness
- 19:31 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer