Europeans have given their views on Barack Obama’s defeat of Mitt Romney.
A recent YouGov poll that surveyed six difference countries found that 90 percent of Europeans favoured the incumbent.
Berlin resident Denny Lyra said: “I think it’s good, better than this rich Mitt Romney. Obama I think is closer to the people than Mitt Romney.”
In Athens, Obama’s victory was splashed across the front page of every newspaper. Residents of the Greek capital praised the result.
Yannos Mitsos, a political science professor, said it “symbolises a victory for Europe – and for the whole world.
“When 90 percent wanted Obama to win, that tells you something. It says that they want more cooperation with the United States, and they want the United States to better understand them,” he said.
Those views were echoed on the streets of Rome. Businessman Mario Alta argued that Romney represented a step backwards for America.
“Obama represents the opposite of what Romney said, Obama is about change,” he said. It is a change that will come about slowly but it will arrive eventually. Romney is a return to an America of 40-50 years ago, an America that no longer exists.”
Romney’s Cold War outlook that Russia is the United States’ number one enemy did not go down well in Moscow.
Darya, a student in the Russian capital, said that if Romney “had come to power in America, it would have impacted Russia very much.”
“He has a totally negative view about Russia. But I would like a bit more stability (with Obama), just a little bit,” she said.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: NATO plane crash kills 10, injures 21
- 2Ukraine rebels pursue offensive in worst fighting since September
- 3Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 4Alexis Tsipras: Left-wing, anti-austerity and in charge of Greece
- 5Second symbolic gesture and first official visit for Tsipras
- 1International concern grows after fighting in Ukraine escalates
- 2Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 3Six French skiers perish in deadly Alpine avalanche
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5Auschwitz and other survivors who were ‘freed but never free’
- 1Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 2Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 3German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 4Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 5No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 10Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:09 CET Indonesia’s military halts recovery efforts for crashed AirAsia jet
- 08:45 CET Nine Ukrainian soldiers killed, 29 wounded in past 24 hours
- 08:32 CET ‘Life-threatening’ blizzard shuts down much of U.S. Northeast
- 08:31 CET Elite police unit chief sidelined over deadly militant clash in…
- 08:30 CET Car bomb kills one in Egypt’s Alexandria – security sources
- 07:12 CET Insight – On climate change, “not a scientist” not enough for some…
- 05:39 CET AirAsia crash report won’t include black box data – investigator
- 05:22 CET Herder kills himself in Inner Mongolia over land grab