Europeans have given their views on Barack Obama’s defeat of Mitt Romney.
A recent YouGov poll that surveyed six difference countries found that 90 percent of Europeans favoured the incumbent.
Berlin resident Denny Lyra said: “I think it’s good, better than this rich Mitt Romney. Obama I think is closer to the people than Mitt Romney.”
In Athens, Obama’s victory was splashed across the front page of every newspaper. Residents of the Greek capital praised the result.
Yannos Mitsos, a political science professor, said it “symbolises a victory for Europe – and for the whole world.
“When 90 percent wanted Obama to win, that tells you something. It says that they want more cooperation with the United States, and they want the United States to better understand them,” he said.
Those views were echoed on the streets of Rome. Businessman Mario Alta argued that Romney represented a step backwards for America.
“Obama represents the opposite of what Romney said, Obama is about change,” he said. It is a change that will come about slowly but it will arrive eventually. Romney is a return to an America of 40-50 years ago, an America that no longer exists.”
Romney’s Cold War outlook that Russia is the United States’ number one enemy did not go down well in Moscow.
Darya, a student in the Russian capital, said that if Romney “had come to power in America, it would have impacted Russia very much.”
“He has a totally negative view about Russia. But I would like a bit more stability (with Obama), just a little bit,” she said.
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 3Investigators probe Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz’s background
- 4New video shows moment Tunisia’s elite BAT squad confront Bardo Museum killers
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Search resumes for clues as to why Germanwings plane crashed in French Alps
- 3[Live updates] Germanwings crash investigators still searching for second Black Box
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Germanwings crash: Witnesses describe moment of impact
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:28 CET China launches ‘Sky Net’ to better coordinate graft fight
- 02:24 CET Eight gang members in El Salvador reported killed in shoot-out…
- 02:06 CET Japan makes a start on sharing lessons from nuclear crisis
- 01:08 CET Syria’s Assad says open to dialogue with U.S. – CBS interview
- 01:05 CET UK must cut aid for Nepal if ‘endemic’ corruption persists – report
- 00:28 CET Apple’s Tim Cook will give away all his money – Fortune
- 23:23 CET Moroccan opposition in rare standoff with police over burial
- 23:04 CET Yemeni leader Hadi leaves country as Saudi Arabia keeps up air…