One barely-discussed issue during the US election campaign is America’s impending budget crisis.
If Democrats and Republicans cannot agree on a 2013 budget by December 31st, the very next day the country tumbles over what has been dubbed a “fiscal cliff”.
George Bush’s tax cuts for the rich are due to run out next year, and over 100 billion in spending cuts split 50/50 between defence and the other budgets kick in automatically.
Some expect Congress will postpone the crisis by a few months rather than suck over 600 billion dollars out of an already aenemic economy in just 8 weeks time.
“On the fiscal cliff and the debt ceiling, whoever is going to be elected and re-elected tomorrow will be faced with that challenge, and will have to tackle that issue up front, very shortly. Because the beginning of 2013 is in two months time,” said IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde speaking at a G20 summit in Mexico today.
Lagarde is urging a deal as is the market, but analysts are beginning to warn that Wall Street is not taking the possibility of no deal seriously enough.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Micro-management: why small businesses are flourishing in Latvia
- 2EU car industry continues recovery but pre-crisis sales levels ‘unlikely’
- 3France: Nespresso changes its commercial ways
- 4Easter eggs: Economic crisis does little to dampen demand
- 5Russian economy in the red as investment slumps and capital flies
- 1Russian economy in the red as investment slumps and capital flies
- 2Russia cannot ignore power of the markets
- 3German economy set for strong growth, but with Ukraine overshadowing forecasts
- 4Ukraine launches criminal probe into Russian bank
- 5Top economies monitoring Ukraine for effects on global growth
Wires > Business
- 02:06 CET German financial watchdog – Low interest rates could trouble…
- 18:29 CET Italy’s Treasury to give Monte Paschi more time to pay interest in…
- 18:29 CET VW has agreed budget car concept, design – manager
- 18:28 CET Italy’s Treasury to give Monte Paschi more time to pay interest in…
- 18:12 CET Comcast in talks with Charter over divestitures – source
- 17:43 CET VW to push electric cars in China as market opens
- 17:40 CET Vivendi’s SFR to partner with Vodafone – CEO
- 16:31 CET Italy’s Treasury to give Monte Paschi more time to pay interest in…