One barely-discussed issue during the US election campaign is America’s impending budget crisis.
If Democrats and Republicans cannot agree on a 2013 budget by December 31st, the very next day the country tumbles over what has been dubbed a “fiscal cliff”.
George Bush’s tax cuts for the rich are due to run out next year, and over 100 billion in spending cuts split 50/50 between defence and the other budgets kick in automatically.
Some expect Congress will postpone the crisis by a few months rather than suck over 600 billion dollars out of an already aenemic economy in just 8 weeks time.
“On the fiscal cliff and the debt ceiling, whoever is going to be elected and re-elected tomorrow will be faced with that challenge, and will have to tackle that issue up front, very shortly. Because the beginning of 2013 is in two months time,” said IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde speaking at a G20 summit in Mexico today.
Lagarde is urging a deal as is the market, but analysts are beginning to warn that Wall Street is not taking the possibility of no deal seriously enough.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 15:42 CET Oil falls more than 4 percent on weak Chinese data
- 15:41 CET National laws hamper ECB’s work as single supervisor – ECB Dickson
- 15:35 CET British peer-to-peer lender Zopa appoints Janardana as CEO
- 15:21 CET Exclusive: BG puts Thai gas field stake worth $1.2 billion on sale…
- 15:02 CET Outage cuts North Morecambe gas sub-terminal flows to zero
- 14:49 CET China stock probes send shivers through investment community
- 13:05 CET UK shares head for worst one-day fall in over a week
- 13:01 CET Ireland to raise growth forecast, appoint central bank head soon -…