One barely-discussed issue during the US election campaign is America’s impending budget crisis.
If Democrats and Republicans cannot agree on a 2013 budget by December 31st, the very next day the country tumbles over what has been dubbed a “fiscal cliff”.
George Bush’s tax cuts for the rich are due to run out next year, and over 100 billion in spending cuts split 50/50 between defence and the other budgets kick in automatically.
Some expect Congress will postpone the crisis by a few months rather than suck over 600 billion dollars out of an already aenemic economy in just 8 weeks time.
“On the fiscal cliff and the debt ceiling, whoever is going to be elected and re-elected tomorrow will be faced with that challenge, and will have to tackle that issue up front, very shortly. Because the beginning of 2013 is in two months time,” said IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde speaking at a G20 summit in Mexico today.
Lagarde is urging a deal as is the market, but analysts are beginning to warn that Wall Street is not taking the possibility of no deal seriously enough.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 02:27 CET IMF warns clear fiscal reform plan key to success of BOJ’s stimulus
- 02:06 CET Exclusive – SunGard to explore possible $10 billion sale: sources
- 00:55 CET G20 more upbeat on growth, but officials fret over Greece
- 00:29 CET Ford to spend $2.5 billion on plants in Mexico, angering UAW
- 00:27 CET Wal-Mart shuffles U.S. store management to improve sales
- 00:10 CET Justice Dept. staff may oppose Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal -…
- 23:27 CET China’s Zhu expects China and U.S. to exchange negative list…
- 22:12 CET Oil falls from 2015 peaks, Brent jumps 9.6 percent on the week