On the storm-stricken eastern seaboard, officials have scrambled to find alternative sites for voting.
In New Jersey, offices opened over the weekend for early voting. New Jersey governor Chris Christie torm-affected residents they will be designated as overseas voters, allowing them to submit an absentee vote electronically: “If you have been displaced from your home because of the storm, we’ll let you vote by e-mail or fax. Otherwise you have got these six other ways you can vote. E-mail and fax is just for those people displaced from their homes because of the storm.”
In the hard-hit New York neighbourhood of Breezy Point, a voting “supersite” has been set up. In total, 60 polling stations have been either relocated or combined. Makeshift polling stations have been set up outside official centres still without electricity after Sandy. The National Guard has been drafted in to maintain order.
At least 113 people died in the US due to last week’s storm. Officials say 155 million euros in aid has already been handed out.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 23:13 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police