On the storm-stricken eastern seaboard, officials have scrambled to find alternative sites for voting.
In New Jersey, offices opened over the weekend for early voting. New Jersey governor Chris Christie torm-affected residents they will be designated as overseas voters, allowing them to submit an absentee vote electronically: “If you have been displaced from your home because of the storm, we’ll let you vote by e-mail or fax. Otherwise you have got these six other ways you can vote. E-mail and fax is just for those people displaced from their homes because of the storm.”
In the hard-hit New York neighbourhood of Breezy Point, a voting “supersite” has been set up. In total, 60 polling stations have been either relocated or combined. Makeshift polling stations have been set up outside official centres still without electricity after Sandy. The National Guard has been drafted in to maintain order.
At least 113 people died in the US due to last week’s storm. Officials say 155 million euros in aid has already been handed out.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Afghanistan: at least 27 die in twin suicide blast
Philippines: Rodrigo Duterte sworn in as president
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
Wires > News
- 11:19 CET Beijing slams South China Sea case as court ruling nears
- 11:18 CET Turkey’s position will be stronger in post-Brexit EU – Turkish …
- 11:14 CET Boko Haram suicide bomber kills 11 at mosque in Cameroon
- 11:06 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27, wound 40 in attack on Afghan…
- 11:01 CET Turkish police detain 13 people over Istanbul airport attack -…
- 10:58 CET Mongolian opposition wins landslide, voters fed up with hard times
- 10:06 CET Have met all criteria for visa-free travel to Europe – Turkey’s …
- 08:59 CET Japan says Chinese military activity in East China Sea escalating