On the storm-stricken eastern seaboard, officials have scrambled to find alternative sites for voting.
In New Jersey, offices opened over the weekend for early voting. New Jersey governor Chris Christie torm-affected residents they will be designated as overseas voters, allowing them to submit an absentee vote electronically: “If you have been displaced from your home because of the storm, we’ll let you vote by e-mail or fax. Otherwise you have got these six other ways you can vote. E-mail and fax is just for those people displaced from their homes because of the storm.”
In the hard-hit New York neighbourhood of Breezy Point, a voting “supersite” has been set up. In total, 60 polling stations have been either relocated or combined. Makeshift polling stations have been set up outside official centres still without electricity after Sandy. The National Guard has been drafted in to maintain order.
At least 113 people died in the US due to last week’s storm. Officials say 155 million euros in aid has already been handed out.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 4Brothers to stand-in for late Fast and Furious star Paul Walker
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 03:00 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking
- 02:43 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 02:13 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.-Japan summit
- 01:57 CET U.S. calls for more investment-friendly Indian government
- 01:52 CET Graft trial of son of Senegal’s ex-president to start in June
- 01:14 CET Brazil’s leader holds wide lead six months from election – survey
- 00:09 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed, eight…
- 23:19 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed