President Obama’s adopted hometown of Chicago overwhelmingly voted for him in 2008 and is likely to do so again in Tuesday’s election.
Obama was active as a community organiser in the mid-80s and is still much respected at the Lilydale First Baptist Church.
The local paster Alvin Love says his presidency has inspired many residents.
“This election really isn’t about him alone. He is at the forefront of a movement. And because (if) we lose an election, the movement isn’t over; we go back to organising.”
Much of the South Side of the city, which is over 93 percent African-American, is enthusiastic about the prospect of an Obama second term.
But many Chicago residents say it’s tough to predict the outcome this time.
“Who is going to win? I think it’s very tight. I am hoping it’ll be Romney,” said one man.
Another said: “I’m mixed, because internationally, I think if Romney wins we may have a different image in the rest of the world. At the same time we need the economy to be humming here”.
Euronews’ correspondent Stefan Grobe, who is in the ‘Windy City’ for the big vote, said:
“After a long and bitter campaign, election day has finally arrived and the excitement is now mounting all across the country. What people fear now though is that the election will be so close that on Tuesday night, we won’t know the winner.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:17 CET France warns African leaders against trying to keep power
- 22:04 CET Taliban kill five in Kabul in attacks on British embassy car…
- 22:03 CET Can man-of-the-people Widodo micromanage 240 million Indonesians?
- 21:56 CET At least 133 killed in tribal clashes in Sudan – tribe leader
- 21:31 CET Argentina charges HSBC with aiding tax evasion via Swiss accounts
- 20:57 CET Thankful to arrive on snowy U.S. holiday with power out, travel…
- 20:36 CET French trial over hit-and-run death suspended after lawyer attacked
- 20:18 CET Portuguese police carry out mass searches in Espirito Santo case