Talks in the Qatari capital Doha this week aim to unite Syrian exiled opponents of President Bashar al-Assad with rebels fighting in Syria.
The ultimate goal is to create a transitional government, but factions in the Syrian National Council (SNC) don’t want to take a back seat to anyone else.
The SNC’s Abdulbaset Sieda, in Doha, reiterated his urging for robust international military involvement.
Sieda told us: “An interim government cannot be formed in exile. It has to be formed on the inside to survey the needs of the people. It has to be formed on the ground and it needs aerial protection from the government’s attacks.”
Islamist-secularist divisions notably have thwarted previous opposition unity efforts and have deterred anything more than moral support from Western powers.
Our correspondent Maha Barada said: “Differences remain over timing, procedures and the nature of international support. The Thursday meeting is supposed to bring together the opposition and other Arab and international parties to help resolve the 19-month-old conflict in Syria.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court
- 19:17 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 19:17 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 19:02 CET Mega salaries are evil, papal preacher tells Good Friday service
- 18:45 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 18:44 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika wins re-election with 81.5 percent – official…