Talks in the Qatari capital Doha this week aim to unite Syrian exiled opponents of President Bashar al-Assad with rebels fighting in Syria.
The ultimate goal is to create a transitional government, but factions in the Syrian National Council (SNC) don’t want to take a back seat to anyone else.
The SNC’s Abdulbaset Sieda, in Doha, reiterated his urging for robust international military involvement.
Sieda told us: “An interim government cannot be formed in exile. It has to be formed on the inside to survey the needs of the people. It has to be formed on the ground and it needs aerial protection from the government’s attacks.”
Islamist-secularist divisions notably have thwarted previous opposition unity efforts and have deterred anything more than moral support from Western powers.
Our correspondent Maha Barada said: “Differences remain over timing, procedures and the nature of international support. The Thursday meeting is supposed to bring together the opposition and other Arab and international parties to help resolve the 19-month-old conflict in Syria.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 23:13 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police