Talks in the Qatari capital Doha this week aim to unite Syrian exiled opponents of President Bashar al-Assad with rebels fighting in Syria.
The ultimate goal is to create a transitional government, but factions in the Syrian National Council (SNC) don’t want to take a back seat to anyone else.
The SNC’s Abdulbaset Sieda, in Doha, reiterated his urging for robust international military involvement.
Sieda told us: “An interim government cannot be formed in exile. It has to be formed on the inside to survey the needs of the people. It has to be formed on the ground and it needs aerial protection from the government’s attacks.”
Islamist-secularist divisions notably have thwarted previous opposition unity efforts and have deterred anything more than moral support from Western powers.
Our correspondent Maha Barada said: “Differences remain over timing, procedures and the nature of international support. The Thursday meeting is supposed to bring together the opposition and other Arab and international parties to help resolve the 19-month-old conflict in Syria.”
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 14:23 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…
- 13:16 CET Islamic State suicide bombers strike in Iraqi refinery town
- 12:57 CET Landmine kills five Ukrainian soldiers in separatist east
- 12:40 CET Lebanese Hezbollah, Syrian army enter rebel-held border city – TV
- 11:30 CET Iran deploys new home-built long-range radar
- 11:22 CET China says tourists attacked in Turkey during anti-China protests
- 11:00 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…
- 08:12 CET China arrests man for suicide ‘rumours’ amid stock market rout -…