Talks in the Qatari capital Doha this week aim to unite Syrian exiled opponents of President Bashar al-Assad with rebels fighting in Syria.
The ultimate goal is to create a transitional government, but factions in the Syrian National Council (SNC) don’t want to take a back seat to anyone else.
The SNC’s Abdulbaset Sieda, in Doha, reiterated his urging for robust international military involvement.
Sieda told us: “An interim government cannot be formed in exile. It has to be formed on the inside to survey the needs of the people. It has to be formed on the ground and it needs aerial protection from the government’s attacks.”
Islamist-secularist divisions notably have thwarted previous opposition unity efforts and have deterred anything more than moral support from Western powers.
Our correspondent Maha Barada said: “Differences remain over timing, procedures and the nature of international support. The Thursday meeting is supposed to bring together the opposition and other Arab and international parties to help resolve the 19-month-old conflict in Syria.”
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…