Americans affected by the recent Hurricane Sandy scrambled on Wednesday to cast their votes across the country’s east coast.
Officials in New York and New Jersey have set up hundreds of temporary polling stations in both states.
The storm destroyed and flooded hundresd of buildings, and brought down power cables when it struck last week.
New Jersey has even allowed displaced voters to choose their preferred presidential candidate by fax or email.
As the clean-up operation continues, locals have experienced long queues when stocking up on supplies, especially food and gasoline.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) has spent more than 200 million dollars (150 million euros) on emergency housing assistance since the storm.
It has rehoused 34,000 displaced people in temporary accomodation in New York and New Jersey.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud
- 15:18 CET South Sudan deploys army to guard U.N. base after attack kills…
- 14:49 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 13:57 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release
- 13:34 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts