06/11/12 11:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Russian President Vladimir Putin has appointed a new defence minister after his predecessor was accused of corruption.
Putin named former emergencies minister Sergey Shoigu as the new man in the job.
He has long been a loyal ally to the Russian president.
He replaces sacked Anataloy Serdyukov, who lost his job over an investigation into a suspected multi-million-euro property scam at a defence ministry holding company.
Serdyukov is a former furniture salesman who rose through the ranks of the Russian civil service to become the country’s top tax collector.
He was then appointed as defence minister in 2007.
But his lack of military background made him unpopular amongst the country’s fighting forces.
Servicemen and veterans opposed the reforms he had been brought in to implement, including wide-ranging spending cuts.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Eurozone finance ministers and IMF agree a further €10.3bn tranche of bailout funds for Greece.
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 02:51 CET After benefits of cheap oil, India counts cost of reduced Gulf…
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’