Russian President Vladimir Putin has appointed a new defence minister after his predecessor was accused of corruption.
Putin named former emergencies minister Sergey Shoigu as the new man in the job.
He has long been a loyal ally to the Russian president.
He replaces sacked Anataloy Serdyukov, who lost his job over an investigation into a suspected multi-million-euro property scam at a defence ministry holding company.
Serdyukov is a former furniture salesman who rose through the ranks of the Russian civil service to become the country’s top tax collector.
He was then appointed as defence minister in 2007.
But his lack of military background made him unpopular amongst the country’s fighting forces.
Servicemen and veterans opposed the reforms he had been brought in to implement, including wide-ranging spending cuts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 2Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 3Kyiv ultimatum to pro-Russian militia to disarm expires
- 4Australia avoids worst of Cyclone Ita but stormy weather still expected
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Kyiv calls for UN peacekeepers as pro-Russians approach Putin
- 1Missing flight MH370: ‘most promising lead’ yet as search crews detect two signal pings
- 2Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 5Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead -…
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift
- 04:05 CET Recovery effort underway after two die in Australia coal mine
- 02:09 CET Iran’s Zarif not worried about pushback from hardliners on nuclear…
- 01:35 CET Thousands flee gun battle as Chad withdraw from Central African…
- 01:06 CET U.S., China in ‘productive’ talks after North Korea test threat
- 23:40 CET Bombs wound three policemen in Cairo