Hearing that he had a convincing lead in the polls on the final day of campaigning would be music to the ears of Barack Obama. But the US President remains locked in an agonisingly close race for the White House. Final day stops include Wisconsin, Ohio and Iowa.
The latest poll gives Obama a slight edge nationally on 48 percent and a full four point lead in must-win Ohio.
“My hope is with you,” he told supporters,“my fight is for you. Make sure that in this country, no matter who you are, no matter where you come from, no matter how you get started, here in America you can make it if you try. That’s why I’m asking for your vote”
Republican challenger Mitt Romney’s final day of campaigning includes stops in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire. He is one point ahead in Florida, according to the polls. He also tried to galvanise voters.
“I think the election comes down to this question, do you want four more years like the last four years or do you want a real change? President Obama promised change but he couldn’t deliver it. I promise change and I have a record of achieving it”.
Turning supporters into voters is now the key. The close poll margins suggest a cliffhanger result that could eventually be decided by the side that has the best turnout.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 23:05 CET Unpopular but defiant, Myanmar ruling party unfazed about poll…
- 20:48 CET Greece says wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 20:34 CET Obama heralds first U.S. Memorial Day without ground war in 14…
- 17:28 CET Militants kill five, target telecoms in Indian Kashmir attacks
- 17:25 CET Houthis suffer first serious setback in south Yemen fighting -…
- 16:57 CET Burkina Faso exhumes remains of former president Sankara in murder…
- 16:54 CET Congo soldiers clash with Rwandan rebels in transit camp
- 16:19 CET Germany protests Russia’s ejection of conservative MP from Moscow