Hearing that he had a convincing lead in the polls on the final day of campaigning would be music to the ears of Barack Obama. But the US President remains locked in an agonisingly close race for the White House. Final day stops include Wisconsin, Ohio and Iowa.
The latest poll gives Obama a slight edge nationally on 48 percent and a full four point lead in must-win Ohio.
“My hope is with you,” he told supporters,“my fight is for you. Make sure that in this country, no matter who you are, no matter where you come from, no matter how you get started, here in America you can make it if you try. That’s why I’m asking for your vote”
Republican challenger Mitt Romney’s final day of campaigning includes stops in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire. He is one point ahead in Florida, according to the polls. He also tried to galvanise voters.
“I think the election comes down to this question, do you want four more years like the last four years or do you want a real change? President Obama promised change but he couldn’t deliver it. I promise change and I have a record of achieving it”.
Turning supporters into voters is now the key. The close poll margins suggest a cliffhanger result that could eventually be decided by the side that has the best turnout.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 2Death of a politician raises tension in Ukraine
- 3Egypt: Mursi espionage trial adjourned and media ban imposed
- 4Crimean authorities move against Tatars and their leader
- 5Ukrainian president calls for resumption of “anti-terrorist” operations in east
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 08:07 CET Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- 08:06 CET Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in ‘madly expensive’ Luanda
- 07:57 CET China military says faces ‘complex’ task keeping secrets
- 07:37 CET Russia holds snap military drills in Caspian Sea – report
- 07:17 CET Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case
- 05:58 CET Iran asks U.N. to act on U.S. ban on new ambassador
- 05:57 CET Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China ahead of visit
- 05:54 CET Vietnam sentences American to death over heroin – newspapers