Hearing that he had a convincing lead in the polls on the final day of campaigning would be music to the ears of Barack Obama. But the US President remains locked in an agonisingly close race for the White House. Final day stops include Wisconsin, Ohio and Iowa.
The latest poll gives Obama a slight edge nationally on 48 percent and a full four point lead in must-win Ohio.
“My hope is with you,” he told supporters,“my fight is for you. Make sure that in this country, no matter who you are, no matter where you come from, no matter how you get started, here in America you can make it if you try. That’s why I’m asking for your vote”
Republican challenger Mitt Romney’s final day of campaigning includes stops in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire. He is one point ahead in Florida, according to the polls. He also tried to galvanise voters.
“I think the election comes down to this question, do you want four more years like the last four years or do you want a real change? President Obama promised change but he couldn’t deliver it. I promise change and I have a record of achieving it”.
Turning supporters into voters is now the key. The close poll margins suggest a cliffhanger result that could eventually be decided by the side that has the best turnout.
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 08:33 CET China opens bribery trial of ally to disgraced security chief
- 08:18 CET Japan may halt funds for UNESCO over Nanjing row with China
- 07:44 CET Growing Japan row over U.S. air base presents election risk for …
- 06:48 CET China’s army sends vehicles seized in graft crackdown to border…
- 04:19 CET New Zealand police arrest man over infant formula contamination…
- 03:55 CET Special Report – Battling for India’s soul, state by state
- 02:00 CET Washington state man who moved a river ordered to pay restitution
- 01:05 CET Clashes in Kosovo after opposition figure arrested