Hearing that he had a convincing lead in the polls on the final day of campaigning would be music to the ears of Barack Obama. But the US President remains locked in an agonisingly close race for the White House. Final day stops include Wisconsin, Ohio and Iowa.
The latest poll gives Obama a slight edge nationally on 48 percent and a full four point lead in must-win Ohio.
“My hope is with you,” he told supporters,“my fight is for you. Make sure that in this country, no matter who you are, no matter where you come from, no matter how you get started, here in America you can make it if you try. That’s why I’m asking for your vote”
Republican challenger Mitt Romney’s final day of campaigning includes stops in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire. He is one point ahead in Florida, according to the polls. He also tried to galvanise voters.
“I think the election comes down to this question, do you want four more years like the last four years or do you want a real change? President Obama promised change but he couldn’t deliver it. I promise change and I have a record of achieving it”.
Turning supporters into voters is now the key. The close poll margins suggest a cliffhanger result that could eventually be decided by the side that has the best turnout.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…