Former South African President Nelson Mandela is now the smiling face of the country’s freshly minted banknotes.
The 94-year-old is the first black person to be featured. His face will appear on all notes issued from Tuesday.
The Governor of the South African Reserve Bank Gill Marcus was one of the first to use the new look
currency at a store in Pretoria.
“I like it, I like the colours, its hot colours, it feels like South Africa colours. I mean it’s very hot, bright colours,” said the shopkeeper after putting the new notes in his till.
Another customer was also delighted to see the Nobel Peace Prize winner’s face on the notes: “We like it, we like it because Mandela carried us and taught us a lot of things. We like Mandela, we are happy to have this money.”
South African President Jacob Zuma said the banknotes were a way for the country to express its “deep gratitude”.
Mandela became the first black president in 1994 after serving 27 years in jail for his opposition to white-minority rule.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Armed police to patrol French beaches
Wires > News
- 11:39 CET Taiwan Navy fires missile in error as China’s Communists mark…
- 11:33 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels seize pilot -…
- 11:22 CET Czech president urges referendum on EU, NATO, says would back…
- 11:17 CET A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement
- 11:16 CET Six killed in gun attack on two buses in Kenya’s Mandera
- 11:15 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 10:59 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 10:34 CET Vietnamese scoff at bike-ban plan as motorcycles engulf capital