The US presidential election enters its final frenzied day of campaigning on Monday and the vote is still all to play for.
Practically every poll suggests that President Barack Obama and Republican opponent Mitt Romney are in a statistical dead heat.
Both candidates raced through four swing states on Sunday playing up their political records.
In Colorado, Obama reminded supporters about the major achievements of his first term:
“In 2008 we were in the middle of two wars and the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Today our businesses are creating nearly 5 and a half million new jobs; the American auto industry is back on top; the war in Iraq is over; the war in Afghanistan is ending; Al Qaeda is on the run; Osama Bin Laden is dead. We made progress these last four years.”
Earlier in Cincinnati, the US president was heckled by an anti-abortion protester, who was quickly set upon by police.
For Romney, Virginia is a must win state. The Republican told the crowd there on Sunday that only he can turn around America’s fortunes:
“President Obama promised change but he couldn’t deliver it. I not only promise change, I have a record of achieving it. I helped put the (Winter) Olympics back on track and with a Democrat legislature I helped turn my state from deficit to surplus, from job losses to job growth, from higher taxes to higher take home pay. That’s why I’m running for President. I know how to change the course the nation is on.”
Romney’s opponents, of the felt variety, marched on Washington on Sunday.
Earlier in the campaign the Republican had vowed to end federal funding for the public TV channel PBS, home to Sesame Street.
Some protesters dressed up as their favourite puppet characters including Big Bird.
- 1Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 2Tsipras keeping promise, one refusal at a time
- 3Debt “dithering” sparks online bid to raise €1.6 billion to help Greece
- 4Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 5Greek tourism looks for early deal to shift clouds from the sunshine
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 07:32 CET Insight – Year into Sisi’s power, Egyptians lament persistent…
- 07:02 CET More than 135,000 refugees reached Europe by sea in 2015’s first…
- 06:49 CET Clinton emails show old friend advising on foreign policy
- 06:27 CET Indonesia to review ageing air force fleet after deadly crash
- 06:18 CET Crew of crashed TransAsia plane shut off working engine – source
- 05:13 CET China adopts new law to make networks, systems ‘controllable’
- 04:42 CET Hong Kong expects large pro-democracy rally as it marks 1997…
- 04:35 CET U.S.-Cuba deal to restore ties to be unveiled on Wednesday