The US presidential election enters its final frenzied day of campaigning on Monday and the vote is still all to play for.
Practically every poll suggests that President Barack Obama and Republican opponent Mitt Romney are in a statistical dead heat.
Both candidates raced through four swing states on Sunday playing up their political records.
In Colorado, Obama reminded supporters about the major achievements of his first term:
“In 2008 we were in the middle of two wars and the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Today our businesses are creating nearly 5 and a half million new jobs; the American auto industry is back on top; the war in Iraq is over; the war in Afghanistan is ending; Al Qaeda is on the run; Osama Bin Laden is dead. We made progress these last four years.”
Earlier in Cincinnati, the US president was heckled by an anti-abortion protester, who was quickly set upon by police.
For Romney, Virginia is a must win state. The Republican told the crowd there on Sunday that only he can turn around America’s fortunes:
“President Obama promised change but he couldn’t deliver it. I not only promise change, I have a record of achieving it. I helped put the (Winter) Olympics back on track and with a Democrat legislature I helped turn my state from deficit to surplus, from job losses to job growth, from higher taxes to higher take home pay. That’s why I’m running for President. I know how to change the course the nation is on.”
Romney’s opponents, of the felt variety, marched on Washington on Sunday.
Earlier in the campaign the Republican had vowed to end federal funding for the public TV channel PBS, home to Sesame Street.
Some protesters dressed up as their favourite puppet characters including Big Bird.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president