The number of people out of work in Spain has climbed again.
An extra 128,000 people were unemployed in October, according to the latest figures from the Labour Ministry. That’s 4.83 million people in total.
In the queue outside one job centre in Madrid, many are cynical whether either of the main political parties can change their fortunes.
“I don’t know whose fault it is, the People’s Party or the Socialists. But we have a very complicated situation right now. I don’t think either of them are doing very well. Things need to be done differently,” said one jobless woman.
“The opposition’s leadership is no good and the government is no better. I think we should punish these parties at elections. It’s one of the only options that we have because protesting or demonstrating isn’t working,” said another Madrid resident, who is also out of work.
Last month, separate data showed the jobless figure crossing the 25 percent mark for the first time. Youth unemployment is even worse, standing at 52 percent.
Spain’s main trade unions have called workers out on a general strike next week to protest planned new cuts.
One union says the economy is being strangled by austerity and has accused the government of dismantling the country’s social model.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Ahead of COP21, climate-change activists prepare to march on London
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Wires > News
- 15:42 CET Suicide car bomb kills five in northern Iraq
- 15:34 CET Experts optimistic Tut’s tomb may conceal Egypt’s lost queen
- 15:16 CET Police, migrants clash on Macedonia border; soldiers build fence
- 15:13 CET Ahead of climate summit, French use emergency laws to put…
- 15:12 CET Spain’s Rajoy vows to cut tax, create jobs if re-elected
- 14:59 CET China police bust online gun ring, seize 1,180 guns – Xinhua
- 14:54 CET Police fire tear gas on crowd of mourners in eastern Congo
- 14:45 CET Kenya arrests two Iranians suspected of planning attacks – ministry