The number of people out of work in Spain has climbed again.
An extra 128,000 people were unemployed in October, according to the latest figures from the Labour Ministry. That’s 4.83 million people in total.
In the queue outside one job centre in Madrid, many are cynical whether either of the main political parties can change their fortunes.
“I don’t know whose fault it is, the People’s Party or the Socialists. But we have a very complicated situation right now. I don’t think either of them are doing very well. Things need to be done differently,” said one jobless woman.
“The opposition’s leadership is no good and the government is no better. I think we should punish these parties at elections. It’s one of the only options that we have because protesting or demonstrating isn’t working,” said another Madrid resident, who is also out of work.
Last month, separate data showed the jobless figure crossing the 25 percent mark for the first time. Youth unemployment is even worse, standing at 52 percent.
Spain’s main trade unions have called workers out on a general strike next week to protest planned new cuts.
One union says the economy is being strangled by austerity and has accused the government of dismantling the country’s social model.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 10:23 CET European court rules against Poland over secret CIA jail
- 10:14 CET Indonesia’s Prabowo faces uncertain fate in opposition
- 09:55 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 09:47 CET Clashes in Libya’s Benghazi kill at least nine
- 09:40 CET Attack on bus in Iraq kills 51 prisoners, nine police
- 09:37 CET Disenchanted with Putin, some Russians vote with their feet
- 09:30 CET Taiwan says weather not seen as cause of plane crash that killed 48
- 09:20 CET U.N. urges sustained effort to improve flagging development