The number of people out of work in Spain has climbed again.
An extra 128,000 people were unemployed in October, according to the latest figures from the Labour Ministry. That’s 4.83 million people in total.
In the queue outside one job centre in Madrid, many are cynical whether either of the main political parties can change their fortunes.
“I don’t know whose fault it is, the People’s Party or the Socialists. But we have a very complicated situation right now. I don’t think either of them are doing very well. Things need to be done differently,” said one jobless woman.
“The opposition’s leadership is no good and the government is no better. I think we should punish these parties at elections. It’s one of the only options that we have because protesting or demonstrating isn’t working,” said another Madrid resident, who is also out of work.
Last month, separate data showed the jobless figure crossing the 25 percent mark for the first time. Youth unemployment is even worse, standing at 52 percent.
Spain’s main trade unions have called workers out on a general strike next week to protest planned new cuts.
One union says the economy is being strangled by austerity and has accused the government of dismantling the country’s social model.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Wires > News
- 10:24 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack