The number of people out of work in Spain has climbed again.
An extra 128,000 people were unemployed in October, according to the latest figures from the Labour Ministry. That’s 4.83 million people in total.
In the queue outside one job centre in Madrid, many are cynical whether either of the main political parties can change their fortunes.
“I don’t know whose fault it is, the People’s Party or the Socialists. But we have a very complicated situation right now. I don’t think either of them are doing very well. Things need to be done differently,” said one jobless woman.
“The opposition’s leadership is no good and the government is no better. I think we should punish these parties at elections. It’s one of the only options that we have because protesting or demonstrating isn’t working,” said another Madrid resident, who is also out of work.
Last month, separate data showed the jobless figure crossing the 25 percent mark for the first time. Youth unemployment is even worse, standing at 52 percent.
Spain’s main trade unions have called workers out on a general strike next week to protest planned new cuts.
One union says the economy is being strangled by austerity and has accused the government of dismantling the country’s social model.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army