Obama or Romney? If Europeans could vote, Barack Obama would be re-elected with an overwhelming majority.
That’s the outcome of an opinion poll conducted in July by an American think tank across several European countries.
These are the statistics from that poll.
Euronews spoke to Ian Lesser, from the German Marshall Fund of the United States, in Brussels:
“American elections for many, many reasons very often are about personal qualities and character. It’s just the nature of our system. So I think it is very much about that. And I think for many Europeans still, it’s not just a legacy of the Obama bounce but also the legacy of the republicans being the party of George Bush”.
Romney remains a perfect stranger to most Europeans, with the exception of Poland where he gained some popularity during his campaign visit in July – 16 percent against 35 percent for Obama.
Ian Lesser, German Marshall Fund:
“The support for Central Eastern Europe’s continued integration into the West, of course this was not just the Bush legacy, it was also true for the Clinton administration. But clearly the Bush admnistration was very much in that mold. I think there was also a sense that on issues like Afghanistan and Iraq there was a bit more sympathy over time for American strategy in those places, in Poland”.
According to Lesser, what most surprises Europeans, is how tight a race this election has actually become.
- 1Russia envoy to EU sees ‘negative impact’ on Turkey ties
- 2Captagon: the so-called ‘super’ stimulant ‘used in Syria’
- 3Belgian security officials hit back at French criticism
- 4EU backs French demands for better surveillance after Paris attacks
- 5ISIL threat is ‘a wake-up call for Europe’, says leading defence expert
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary