Cars block roads, while pedestrians struggle through knee-deep, swirling torrents. Before hitting the East Coast of the USA, Sandy drenched the southern part of Haiti, along with the capital Port au Prince.
The authorities say 70 percent of crops were destroyed and livestock lost. Rivers overflowed, making the already-difficult daily life a virtual impossibility.
At least 54 people died and the UN estimates 1.6 million have been affected.
Haitian Prime Minister Laurence Lamothe has reiterated an appeal for emergency international humanitarian aid to help his stricken country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 07:37 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 07:33 CET China plans railway to India, Nepal borders by 2020
- 07:30 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved