Delegates are gathering for the G20 meeting in Mexico City. Insiders say that the so-called US fiscal cliff is outweighing Europe’s debt crisis in terms of short-term risks to the global economic output.
Unless the US Congress can reach a deal, 600 billion dollars in cuts and taxes will kick in in January, and could push the US back into recession.
India’s Finance Minister Shri P. Chidambaram wants swift action:
“The U.S. has to find answers to its fiscal cliff. Whoever is elected president on Tuesday would have to work with the U.S. congress and find answers. Europe would have to get its house in order. I don´t think Europe has seen the worst yet. I hope that they find answers and put Europe back on the growth path.”
A draft communique suggests there are elevated risks facing the global economy, including the crisis in Europe and potential problems in Japan. Few expect major agreements with several political heavyweights skipping the meeting.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 23:49 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- 23:07 CET U.S. drone kills six suspected militants in Pakistan
- 23:02 CET Western-backed Syrian rebels say kill foreign Islamic State…
- 23:00 CET Cameroon involved in Central Africa ‘blood diamond’ trade – …
- 22:54 CET Greek ship ferries hundreds more migrants to mainland
- 22:30 CET Friendly fire from Saudi-led coalition kills seven in Yemen -…
- 22:26 CET Migrant chaos at Budapest train station; Germany says EU rules…
- 22:04 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.