Syria’s divided opposition factions have begun four days of talks in Qatar, seeking a common front to gain international recognition – and weapons to oust President Assad.
It is the first concerted attempt to align foreign-based opposition groups with the rebels’ military campaign.
Leaders hope the meeting will pave the way for a follow-up conference next week.
“We hope (that) if the Syrians will find a way to choose their leadership on the November 8, in this case the whole world will be behind them, to help them,” said Riad Seif, leader of the Syrian National Initiative (SNI).
The US has called for an overhaul of the opposition leadership to include front line rebels.
Tensions between Islamists and secularists, and groups at home and abroad, have marred attempts to forge unity.
- 1Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 2Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 3Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 4Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 5Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Wires > News
- 11:34 CET Saudi king says Yemen campaign to continue until achieves targets
- 10:45 CET Iranian negotiator denies discussion of 2-3 page nuclear deal -IRNA
- 10:31 CET Czech PM says two Czechs kidnapped in Pakistan released
- 10:07 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship
- 09:45 CET Philippines dismisses China concerns over South China Sea military…
- 09:15 CET At least 15 dead in Somalia hotel attack, militants say end siege
- 07:31 CET Japan is set to extend sanctions on North Korea – Nikkei
- 07:08 CET Crowds swell to bid farewell to Singapore’s founder Lee ahead of…