Syria’s divided opposition factions have begun four days of talks in Qatar, seeking a common front to gain international recognition – and weapons to oust President Assad.
It is the first concerted attempt to align foreign-based opposition groups with the rebels’ military campaign.
Leaders hope the meeting will pave the way for a follow-up conference next week.
“We hope (that) if the Syrians will find a way to choose their leadership on the November 8, in this case the whole world will be behind them, to help them,” said Riad Seif, leader of the Syrian National Initiative (SNI).
The US has called for an overhaul of the opposition leadership to include front line rebels.
Tensions between Islamists and secularists, and groups at home and abroad, have marred attempts to forge unity.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader