It’s Sunday, so it must be New Hampshire… and then Florida, Ohio and Colorado. Four states in one day for Barack Obama: par for the course for a presidential candidate, 48 hours before the election.
He and Mitt Romney have been making their final pitches in the key states.
The president kicked off the day with a rally in Concord. He told his New Hampshire supporters that his Democratic administration had made progress, but there was more work to do.
And he attacked his Republican rival’s claim to represent change.
“Let me just say this: We know what change looks like and what he’s selling ain’t it. It ain’t it,” he said. “Giving more power back to the biggest banks, that’s not change. Another five trillion dollar tax cut that favours the wealthy, not change. Refusing to answer questions about the details of your policies until after the election is over, that’s definitely not change. That’s the oldest trick in the book.”
Romney was in Iowa on Sunday morning – another battleground state – before going on to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
He claimed his opponent’s record had been marked by broken promises and empty rhetoric.
“He was going to create jobs, remember that, that was his focus. But instead he focused on ‘Obamacare’, which killed jobs. He said he was going to cut the federal deficit in half, he doubled it. He said that unemployment would now be at 5.4 percent, we just learned on Friday it’s 7.9 percent. That’s nine million jobs short of what he promised,” Romney said.
Each candidate has been trying to nail the other as the campaign winds up. Romney renamed Obama’s “forward” slogan as “forewarned.”
The Republican needs to win states like Iowa. But a local poll there, for the Des Moines Register, put him five points behind – on 42 per cent compared to Obama’s 47 per cent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 13Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:17 CET Analysis – Obama forges anti-ISIL coalition, but will it hang…
- 02:06 CET U.N. Security Council blacklists foreign fighters, recruiters
- 01:55 CET Exclusive – U.S. told Iran of intent to strike Islamic State in…
- 01:45 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff with 7-point lead in second round…
- 01:30 CET Colombia’s Santos says using ‘carrot and stick’ to disarm FARC
- 01:17 CET Analysis – Obama’s Syria war carries risks for him at home and…
- 01:10 CET Fired UPS worker kills two supervisors, self, in Alabama shooting
- 01:01 CET U.N. climate summit sets goals to save forests, use clean energy