It’s Sunday, so it must be New Hampshire… and then Florida, Ohio and Colorado. Four states in one day for Barack Obama: par for the course for a presidential candidate, 48 hours before the election.
He and Mitt Romney have been making their final pitches in the key states.
The president kicked off the day with a rally in Concord. He told his New Hampshire supporters that his Democratic administration had made progress, but there was more work to do.
And he attacked his Republican rival’s claim to represent change.
“Let me just say this: We know what change looks like and what he’s selling ain’t it. It ain’t it,” he said. “Giving more power back to the biggest banks, that’s not change. Another five trillion dollar tax cut that favours the wealthy, not change. Refusing to answer questions about the details of your policies until after the election is over, that’s definitely not change. That’s the oldest trick in the book.”
Romney was in Iowa on Sunday morning – another battleground state – before going on to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
He claimed his opponent’s record had been marked by broken promises and empty rhetoric.
“He was going to create jobs, remember that, that was his focus. But instead he focused on ‘Obamacare’, which killed jobs. He said he was going to cut the federal deficit in half, he doubled it. He said that unemployment would now be at 5.4 percent, we just learned on Friday it’s 7.9 percent. That’s nine million jobs short of what he promised,” Romney said.
Each candidate has been trying to nail the other as the campaign winds up. Romney renamed Obama’s “forward” slogan as “forewarned.”
The Republican needs to win states like Iowa. But a local poll there, for the Des Moines Register, put him five points behind – on 42 per cent compared to Obama’s 47 per cent.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US-Egypt relations return to ‘stronger base’ says John Kerry
Canada PM Stephen Harper announces October 19 election
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Wires > News
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…