It’s Sunday, so it must be New Hampshire… and then Florida, Ohio and Colorado. Four states in one day for Barack Obama: par for the course for a presidential candidate, 48 hours before the election.
He and Mitt Romney have been making their final pitches in the key states.
The president kicked off the day with a rally in Concord. He told his New Hampshire supporters that his Democratic administration had made progress, but there was more work to do.
And he attacked his Republican rival’s claim to represent change.
“Let me just say this: We know what change looks like and what he’s selling ain’t it. It ain’t it,” he said. “Giving more power back to the biggest banks, that’s not change. Another five trillion dollar tax cut that favours the wealthy, not change. Refusing to answer questions about the details of your policies until after the election is over, that’s definitely not change. That’s the oldest trick in the book.”
Romney was in Iowa on Sunday morning – another battleground state – before going on to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
He claimed his opponent’s record had been marked by broken promises and empty rhetoric.
“He was going to create jobs, remember that, that was his focus. But instead he focused on ‘Obamacare’, which killed jobs. He said he was going to cut the federal deficit in half, he doubled it. He said that unemployment would now be at 5.4 percent, we just learned on Friday it’s 7.9 percent. That’s nine million jobs short of what he promised,” Romney said.
Each candidate has been trying to nail the other as the campaign winds up. Romney renamed Obama’s “forward” slogan as “forewarned.”
The Republican needs to win states like Iowa. But a local poll there, for the Des Moines Register, put him five points behind – on 42 per cent compared to Obama’s 47 per cent.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 5Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Obama makes link between First Thanksgiving and America’s refugee origins
Nuclear energy off the table at climate change talks
Britain’s parliament debates Cameron’s call to air war in Syria
Kremlin gets tough on Turkish food imports
Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
Wires > News
- 16:22 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 16:16 CET Frescoes stolen from ancient tomb go on display in Italy
- 16:06 CET Broad smiles and enduring spirit at Holocaust survivors’ beauty…
- 16:04 CET Belgian police mount search linked to Paris attacks
- 15:51 CET One dead in shooting at Bangladeshi Shi’ite mosque
- 15:45 CET ‘Putin is not forever’, says daughter of slain opposition leader
- 15:43 CET Paris airport traffic down after attacks, security tighter
- 15:39 CET WHO records highest-ever number of new HIV cases in its European…