It’s Sunday, so it must be New Hampshire… and then Florida, Ohio and Colorado. Four states in one day for Barack Obama: par for the course for a presidential candidate, 48 hours before the election.
He and Mitt Romney have been making their final pitches in the key states.
The president kicked off the day with a rally in Concord. He told his New Hampshire supporters that his Democratic administration had made progress, but there was more work to do.
And he attacked his Republican rival’s claim to represent change.
“Let me just say this: We know what change looks like and what he’s selling ain’t it. It ain’t it,” he said. “Giving more power back to the biggest banks, that’s not change. Another five trillion dollar tax cut that favours the wealthy, not change. Refusing to answer questions about the details of your policies until after the election is over, that’s definitely not change. That’s the oldest trick in the book.”
Romney was in Iowa on Sunday morning – another battleground state – before going on to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
He claimed his opponent’s record had been marked by broken promises and empty rhetoric.
“He was going to create jobs, remember that, that was his focus. But instead he focused on ‘Obamacare’, which killed jobs. He said he was going to cut the federal deficit in half, he doubled it. He said that unemployment would now be at 5.4 percent, we just learned on Friday it’s 7.9 percent. That’s nine million jobs short of what he promised,” Romney said.
Each candidate has been trying to nail the other as the campaign winds up. Romney renamed Obama’s “forward” slogan as “forewarned.”
The Republican needs to win states like Iowa. But a local poll there, for the Des Moines Register, put him five points behind – on 42 per cent compared to Obama’s 47 per cent.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 21:27 CET Fukushima-related child cancers unlikely to rise – IAEA
- 21:15 CET Blast reported at chemical plant in northern China
- 21:10 CET New batch of Hillary Clinton emails to be released at 9 p.m. -…
- 20:17 CET Ukraine guardsman killed in nationalist protest outside parliament
- 19:46 CET U.S. military deploys drones to Latvia on training mission
- 19:44 CET U.S., allies conduct 12 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 19:37 CET Lithuania presses charges over deaths in 1991 Soviet crackdown
- 19:25 CET Car bomb damages Italy’s ENI joint venture in Libyan capital