It’s Sunday, so it must be New Hampshire… and then Florida, Ohio and Colorado. Four states in one day for Barack Obama: par for the course for a presidential candidate, 48 hours before the election.
He and Mitt Romney have been making their final pitches in the key states.
The president kicked off the day with a rally in Concord. He told his New Hampshire supporters that his Democratic administration had made progress, but there was more work to do.
And he attacked his Republican rival’s claim to represent change.
“Let me just say this: We know what change looks like and what he’s selling ain’t it. It ain’t it,” he said. “Giving more power back to the biggest banks, that’s not change. Another five trillion dollar tax cut that favours the wealthy, not change. Refusing to answer questions about the details of your policies until after the election is over, that’s definitely not change. That’s the oldest trick in the book.”
Romney was in Iowa on Sunday morning – another battleground state – before going on to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
He claimed his opponent’s record had been marked by broken promises and empty rhetoric.
“He was going to create jobs, remember that, that was his focus. But instead he focused on ‘Obamacare’, which killed jobs. He said he was going to cut the federal deficit in half, he doubled it. He said that unemployment would now be at 5.4 percent, we just learned on Friday it’s 7.9 percent. That’s nine million jobs short of what he promised,” Romney said.
Each candidate has been trying to nail the other as the campaign winds up. Romney renamed Obama’s “forward” slogan as “forewarned.”
The Republican needs to win states like Iowa. But a local poll there, for the Des Moines Register, put him five points behind – on 42 per cent compared to Obama’s 47 per cent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials
- 01:12 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill 33 security personnel
- 01:02 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 23:26 CET Drone strike kills three al Qaeda-linked militants – tribal sources
- 22:42 CET At least four dead in escape bid at model Dominican Republic jail
- 22:34 CET Lebanon army clashes with gunmen, kills two in Tripoli – sources