A 17-year-old girl has died in hospital becoming the fourth fatality after a stampede at a Halloween party in Madrid. The three other victims were all female, aged 18 while a 20-year-old young woman remains in a serious condition.
As an investigation into Wednesday’s tragedy gets underway, survivors of the deadly crush have been criticising security arrangements at the venue.
Carmen Rodríguez gave her account:
“I came in showing just the back of my ticket, nobody looked at it…nobody asked me for an identity card, or looked in my purse to check if I was carrying alcohol. The security guards didn’t even look at my face…”
The crush happened in a passageway within the venue leading to the central concert area in the Madrid Arena.
Spanish police are investigating security footage and amateur video of the corridor to establish what sparked the stampede. Some witnesses say the crowd panicked when a flare was thrown among them.
Criticism has been levelled at the event’s organisers saying it was over crowded, some exits were closed off and there was no police evacuation to deal with the emergency.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…
- 09:20 CET Japan offers vessels to Vietnam to boost its sea strength
- 09:12 CET Algerian capital hit by 5.5 quake, no reports of damage
- 09:07 CET Gas blast in Taiwan kills 25, injures 267, topples buildings
- 07:57 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 06:35 CET China’s Xi pledges hard strike against military corruption
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…