A 17-year-old girl has died in hospital becoming the fourth fatality after a stampede at a Halloween party in Madrid. The three other victims were all female, aged 18 while a 20-year-old young woman remains in a serious condition.
As an investigation into Wednesday’s tragedy gets underway, survivors of the deadly crush have been criticising security arrangements at the venue.
Carmen Rodríguez gave her account:
“I came in showing just the back of my ticket, nobody looked at it…nobody asked me for an identity card, or looked in my purse to check if I was carrying alcohol. The security guards didn’t even look at my face…”
The crush happened in a passageway within the venue leading to the central concert area in the Madrid Arena.
Spanish police are investigating security footage and amateur video of the corridor to establish what sparked the stampede. Some witnesses say the crowd panicked when a flare was thrown among them.
Criticism has been levelled at the event’s organisers saying it was over crowded, some exits were closed off and there was no police evacuation to deal with the emergency.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
US shooting: police officer charged with murder
Charges brought over killing of Zimbabwe’s famous ‘Cecil’
Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
Wires > News
- 12:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777-Malaysia
- 11:48 CET China says ‘many’ countries sending troops for war anniversary
- 11:42 CET Cairo hearing in Al Jazeera journalists’ retrial adjourned – Al…
- 11:40 CET Greek PM tries to rein in leftists in party battle
- 11:37 CET Turkish military says three soldiers killed in PKK attack in the…
- 11:11 CET Taipei mayor won’t publicly back ‘One China’, Shanghai forum at…
- 10:46 CET Taliban disavows Afghan peace talks after leader declared dead
- 09:58 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty