A 17-year-old girl has died in hospital becoming the fourth fatality after a stampede at a Halloween party in Madrid. The three other victims were all female, aged 18 while a 20-year-old young woman remains in a serious condition.
As an investigation into Wednesday’s tragedy gets underway, survivors of the deadly crush have been criticising security arrangements at the venue.
Carmen Rodríguez gave her account:
“I came in showing just the back of my ticket, nobody looked at it…nobody asked me for an identity card, or looked in my purse to check if I was carrying alcohol. The security guards didn’t even look at my face…”
The crush happened in a passageway within the venue leading to the central concert area in the Madrid Arena.
Spanish police are investigating security footage and amateur video of the corridor to establish what sparked the stampede. Some witnesses say the crowd panicked when a flare was thrown among them.
Criticism has been levelled at the event’s organisers saying it was over crowded, some exits were closed off and there was no police evacuation to deal with the emergency.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 3Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 4The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 06:16 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China
- 04:44 CET Six Malaysians, eight Chinese arrested in A$200 million Australian…
- 04:37 CET Japan to cut emphasis on nuclear in next energy plan – sources
- 04:36 CET Thai queen undergoes medical tests, palace says in rare statement
- 04:12 CET After sea spat, China pledges deeper defence ties with Indonesia
- 04:08 CET El Salvador Congress approves $152 million bond issue to tackle…