The Coptic Orthodox church has a new pope.
Bishop Tawadros was chosen by a blindfolded boy at the Abbasiya cathedral in Cairo.
The 60-year-old will now lead the Middle East’s largest Christian community at a time when Egypt is governed by an Islamist administration.
Pope Tawadros replaces Pope Shenouda III who died in March after leading the faith for four decades.
The new pontiff is expected to protect the interests of the Coptic community, which has long complained of discrimination in Egypt.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
UK extends Tornado air campaign against ISIL in Iraq
Dramatic footage of road collapse as deadly rain storms hit Asia
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Yemen conflict: Hadi loyalists seize largest military base from Houthis
Pakistan hangs ‘teen’ convict despite protests from rights groups
Wires > News
- 15:41 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells cabinet to back budget or risk government…
- 15:34 CET Turkish jets hit Kurdish militant targets in southeast Turkey
- 15:15 CET Turkish nationalists would back AK minority government in return…
- 14:21 CET Judge throws out fraud case against South African firebrand Malema
- 14:18 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 13:48 CET Amid scandal, suitors cautiously eye Malaysia’s 1MDB power assets…
- 13:26 CET U.N. envoy to Yemen says warring parties increasingly open to…
- 13:24 CET China detains seven Christians opposed to cross demolition