A bomb has ripped through a hotel in central Damascus close to a Syrian government complex.
State TV described the explosion as a terrorist act.
Seven people have been injured, one them critically.
Opposition activists claim the bomb went off close to a heavily-guarded army installation in the heart of the capital.
Rebels have planted a number of bombs in Damascus in recent times in an attempt to take the conflict to the core of Assad’s Syria.Three hundred kilometres away in the ravaged city of Aleppo government forces and anti-Assad fighters continue to battle it out amid the debris of the country’s second metropolis.
Rebels say they are having to defend themselves against government sniper attacks.
The Syrian military claims to have destroyed a number of vehicles carrying men and munitions as the fighting continues with no end in sight.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal