03/11/12 19:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The US presidential race is into the final bend of the track, and the two rivals have been cramming in as many marginal states as possible over the weekend.
Each lost no time on Saturday in attacking their opponent – but they did so by poking fun at each other.
Barack Obama, who began the day in Ohio, has said Tuesday’s vote is about “two different visions of America”.
“Governor Romney is a very talented salesman. In this campaign he has tried as hard as he can to repackage the same policies that didn’t work and offer them up as change. But you know here is the problem, Ohio, we know what change looks like. And what he is offering ain’t it,” he told supporters.
The Republican candidate was due to visit three states on Saturday to hammer home his message of lower taxes and a large cut in the federal budget.
He has appealed to people to vote for “love of country”, and has described the latest jobs report as evidence that the economy is at a standstill.
“I need you to spend some time in the next 3 days to see neighbours, maybe ones with an Obama sign in front of their home and just go by and say ‘Look, let’s talk this through a bit because, you see, President Obama came into office with so many promises and he has fallen so far short’,” he told a crowd in New Hampshire.
One opinion poll released on Saturday puts Romney on 46% support nationally, one point behind Obama’s 47% – meaning they are virtually neck and neck given the margin for error.
The Republican needs to win a majority of the key swing states, given Obama’s expected hold in the larger states.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 4Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 5Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Ahead of COP21, climate-change activists prepare to march on London
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Pope Francis praises Ugandan authorities for taking in refugees
Wires > News
- 13:22 CET Syrian army advances against Islamic State east of Aleppo – Syria…
- 13:14 CET Morocco arrests Turks suspected of Islamic State links
- 13:08 CET Insight: Gaffer tape and 500 euros – running guns to the heart of…
- 13:07 CET In search of Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti, focus on King Tut’s tomb
- 13:01 CET Some guns used in Paris attacks produced in ex-Yugoslavia’s arsenal
- 13:00 CET Germany’s Merkel urges strict, binding goals to tackle climate…
- 12:19 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 12:15 CET North Korea tested submarine-launched missile, but launch failed -…