Three members of Egypt’s security forces have been killed in an attack on their car by gunmen in the northern Sinai peninsula.
Two died at the scene while another succumbed to his wounds later in hospital. A fourth was wounded.
It happened in the city of al-Arish. A police source said the attackers were probably militants who Egypt has been hunting since an ambush on security forces three months ago.
Disorder has been spreading in Sinai since the dictator Hosni Mubarak was ousted from power early last year. Islamist militants have stepped up attacks on security forces.
Egypt launched an offensive against them after the August ambush on the Israeli border. 16 guards were killed in the deadliest attack in Sinai since the two countries went to war in 1973.
President Mursi has pledged to restore law and order in the poor desert region.
But many among the indigenous Bedouin population have long been hostile to Cairo.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1“Positive signs” Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 2euronews sees damage first-hand in government-held city under rebel fire in Luhansk
- 3At least 27 dead in militant attacks in Egypt’s North Sinai province
- 4What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 5Setback for Greek government’s Pireaus port renegotiation plan with Chinese
- 1Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 2Mexico says 43 missing students were definitely murdered
- 3Russia is accused of ‘financing illegal armed groups’ – Council of Europe
- 4A very academic cabinet, Tsipras government sworn-in
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:56 CET Islamic State’s Egypt wing claims attacks that killed 27 -…
- 23:47 CET Man wielding pistol arrested at Dutch national broadcaster
- 22:59 CET U.S., Colombia arrest 17 accused of shipping cocaine from Venezuela
- 22:34 CET African Union backs plan for regional task force to fight Boko…
- 22:21 CET Argentine investigator into Jewish centre bombing buried
- 22:17 CET France’s Le Pen would lead first round of 2017 presidential vote -…
- 21:46 CET Saudi king orders payout to state employees, reshuffles cabinet
- 21:36 CET Delhi Uber passenger who alleges driver rape sues in U.S. court