Three members of Egypt’s security forces have been killed in an attack on their car by gunmen in the northern Sinai peninsula.
Two died at the scene while another succumbed to his wounds later in hospital. A fourth was wounded.
It happened in the city of al-Arish. A police source said the attackers were probably militants who Egypt has been hunting since an ambush on security forces three months ago.
Disorder has been spreading in Sinai since the dictator Hosni Mubarak was ousted from power early last year. Islamist militants have stepped up attacks on security forces.
Egypt launched an offensive against them after the August ambush on the Israeli border. 16 guards were killed in the deadliest attack in Sinai since the two countries went to war in 1973.
President Mursi has pledged to restore law and order in the poor desert region.
But many among the indigenous Bedouin population have long been hostile to Cairo.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 23:09 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 23:05 CET Manager at Japan’s Fukushima plant admits radioactive water…
- 22:51 CET Murders soar in Brazil World Cup city during police strike
- 22:32 CET Libya plans ‘smart cards’ to cut fuel subsidies that boost…
- 21:59 CET Israeli, Palestinian negotiators seek to rescue troubled talks
- 21:12 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA
- 21:00 CET Nigerian state says most abducted schoolgirls still missing
- 20:49 CET Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in