Three members of Egypt’s security forces have been killed in an attack on their car by gunmen in the northern Sinai peninsula.
Two died at the scene while another succumbed to his wounds later in hospital. A fourth was wounded.
It happened in the city of al-Arish. A police source said the attackers were probably militants who Egypt has been hunting since an ambush on security forces three months ago.
Disorder has been spreading in Sinai since the dictator Hosni Mubarak was ousted from power early last year. Islamist militants have stepped up attacks on security forces.
Egypt launched an offensive against them after the August ambush on the Israeli border. 16 guards were killed in the deadliest attack in Sinai since the two countries went to war in 1973.
President Mursi has pledged to restore law and order in the poor desert region.
But many among the indigenous Bedouin population have long been hostile to Cairo.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
At least 20 killed as two trains derail in central India
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Croatia and Serbia mark the 20th anniversary of Operation Storm
Wires > News
- 08:10 CET Japan’s Abe asks Biden for investigation of possible U.S. spying
- 07:37 CET Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 07:34 CET Civilian casualties rise as Afghan war intensifies in 2015
- 06:14 CET Kerry, China’s Wang discuss South China Sea tensions
- 06:08 CET India floods derail two trains, killing at least 20; hundreds…
- 04:52 CET China appeals for U.S. help to fight Xinjiang militants
- 04:51 CET FBI looking into security of Clinton private email account -…
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…