Three members of Egypt’s security forces have been killed in an attack on their car by gunmen in the northern Sinai peninsula.
Two died at the scene while another succumbed to his wounds later in hospital. A fourth was wounded.
It happened in the city of al-Arish. A police source said the attackers were probably militants who Egypt has been hunting since an ambush on security forces three months ago.
Disorder has been spreading in Sinai since the dictator Hosni Mubarak was ousted from power early last year. Islamist militants have stepped up attacks on security forces.
Egypt launched an offensive against them after the August ambush on the Israeli border. 16 guards were killed in the deadliest attack in Sinai since the two countries went to war in 1973.
President Mursi has pledged to restore law and order in the poor desert region.
But many among the indigenous Bedouin population have long been hostile to Cairo.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
‘We love peace,’ China’s president proclaims at WWII parade
Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
MH370: experts now certain wing section is from missing plane
Czech police marking refugees directly on their skin
Wires > News
- 21:32 CET Migrants scuffle with Hungary police; dead toddler’s image shocks…
- 21:14 CET Leading Islamist party faces test in local Moroccan elections
- 20:56 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 20:16 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 19:05 CET Greek leftists put on brave face as poll shows conservatives…
- 18:48 CET U.N. to set up inspection regime to ease Yemen humanitarian plight
- 18:41 CET Guatemala’s president quits, faces charges in graft scandal
- 18:37 CET Double suicide bombing in north Cameroon kills 19, wounds 143