03/11/12 21:33 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Three members of Egypt’s security forces have been killed in an attack on their car by gunmen in the northern Sinai peninsula.
Two died at the scene while another succumbed to his wounds later in hospital. A fourth was wounded.
It happened in the city of al-Arish. A police source said the attackers were probably militants who Egypt has been hunting since an ambush on security forces three months ago.
Disorder has been spreading in Sinai since the dictator Hosni Mubarak was ousted from power early last year. Islamist militants have stepped up attacks on security forces.
Egypt launched an offensive against them after the August ambush on the Israeli border. 16 guards were killed in the deadliest attack in Sinai since the two countries went to war in 1973.
President Mursi has pledged to restore law and order in the poor desert region.
But many among the indigenous Bedouin population have long been hostile to Cairo.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 3Two Koreas, two reactions after illegal rocket launch
- 4More problems at FYROM-Greek border slows refugees’ journey north
- 5Spanish police smash ISIL terror cell in three cities
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Spanish police smash ISIL terror cell in three cities
Algeria enacts reforms and gives Berber language official status
Filmed bus stunt causes mini-panic in London
Former Foreign Legion commander arrested at anti-foreigner protest
‘The Revenant’ director Inarritu scoops DGA award, as Oscars near
Wires > News
- 02:40 CET To protect Chinese investment, Pakistan military leaves little to…
- 22:38 CET Hollande, Merkel stress migrant crisis needs EU solution
- 20:50 CET Chilean alleges sex abuse cover-up, asks pope to sack bishop
- 20:23 CET Iran-backed militia warns against sending Arab forces to Syria…
- 19:41 CET U.N. rights chief meets families of Sri Lanka’s war victims
- 19:28 CET Carnival roars ahead in Brazil despite Zika health scare
- 18:47 CET Egyptian police shoot four suspected militants in raid near Cairo
- 18:31 CET Second member of Islamic State execution cell identified as Briton…