Three members of Egypt’s security forces have been killed in an attack on their car by gunmen in the northern Sinai peninsula.
Two died at the scene while another succumbed to his wounds later in hospital. A fourth was wounded.
It happened in the city of al-Arish. A police source said the attackers were probably militants who Egypt has been hunting since an ambush on security forces three months ago.
Disorder has been spreading in Sinai since the dictator Hosni Mubarak was ousted from power early last year. Islamist militants have stepped up attacks on security forces.
Egypt launched an offensive against them after the August ambush on the Israeli border. 16 guards were killed in the deadliest attack in Sinai since the two countries went to war in 1973.
President Mursi has pledged to restore law and order in the poor desert region.
But many among the indigenous Bedouin population have long been hostile to Cairo.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Ukraine: Full ceasefire maintained in some areas, Kyiv reports
- 5Right-wing Northern League holds rally in centre of Rome
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET U.S.-Israel ties fraying over Netanyahu speech, Iran talks
- 00:26 CET Netanyahu takes Iran campaign to Jerusalem holy site
- 23:23 CET Russians to march in memory of murdered critic of Putin
- 22:45 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen heighten security citing possible…
- 20:11 CET Lorry kills protester at roadblock in southern Brazil
- 20:10 CET Kurdish rebel leader in Turkey calls for disarmament congress
- 18:51 CET Women protest on last day of Rio IOC meetings
- 18:36 CET Italy anti-immigrant Northern League rallies against Renzi