Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney is continuing to promote himself as a force for change as he engages in a frenetic last minute push to win over battleground states.
On the day that both candidates put their own positive spin on October job figures it was the economy and President Barack Obama’s record which drew his attack.
“The debt ceiling is going to come up again and shut down and default will be threatened, chilling the economy. The president was right the other day when he said he couldn’t change Washington from the inside – we are going to take him at his word and give him a chance to be outside Washington soon.” Romney was speaking in West Chester Ohio.
Like Romney, Obama was in Ohio too – with 20 electoral college votes up for grabs it’s seen as the most critical state of all. It’s also where one in eight jobs is related to auto manufacturing and Obama’s federal rescue plan for the industry has been very popular.
“I understand Governor Romney has had a tough time here in Ohio because he was against saving the auto industry. And it’s hard to run away from a position when you are on video tape saying “ let Detroit go bankrupt” – this isn’t a game, these are people’s jobs at stake these are people’s lives,” said President Obama speaking in Lima Ohio.
The frenzied campaigning of swing states is set to continue over the weekend but other key groups are not being forgotten. Obama is relying on a predicted 70 per cent support rate among Hispanic voters.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 4Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
- 5Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
‘We love peace,’ China’s president proclaims at WWII parade
Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
MH370: experts now certain wing section is from missing plane
Wires > News
- 04:40 CET Peru’s Congress boosts state energy firm in populist turn
- 04:02 CET Sinai blasts injure six peacekeepers, including four Americans -…
- 03:50 CET Chinese ships headed home after Bering Sea sighting – U.S. Navy
- 01:54 CET Guatemala’s president quits, jailed on corruption charges
- 23:30 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 22:32 CET U.N. experts accuse Chad of abuses in Central Africa conflict
- 21:14 CET Leading Islamist party faces test in local Moroccan elections
- 20:16 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…