Early voters could account for 40 per cent of all ballots cast in the 2012 US presidential election.
So far as many as 22 million Americans have already made their choice for the White House.
Both campaign camps have spent millions of dollars and despatched thousands of volunteers to urge voters to mark their cards early.
Dean C Logan is a registrar in Norwalk, California:
“I think increasingly what we’re seeing is an electorate that is accustomed to options and wants to be able to cast their ballot when and where they’re ready to within some reasonable limits and we have a busy society because of work schedules or if they work further away from home or if they have childcare needs. There could be any number of reasons.”
A driving force behind the huge numbers of early voting is the Republicans have finally got on board having fallen victim to Obama’s early voter success in the last election.
Obama himself voted in October.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion – Interior Ministry
- 14:10 CET Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest
- 14:02 CET Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks…
- 11:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 11:31 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 11:28 CET Egyptian leftist politician submits bid to run for president
- 10:08 CET Gunmen kidnap two Pakistani U.N. staff members from Karachi
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state