About a thousand protesters demonstrated in Libya’s second city Benghazi, calling for more autonomy for the eastern part of the country and the reintroduction of the constitution of 1951 to establish a federal system.
The protesters are also demanding that key institutions like the central bank and oil and finance ministries be relocated in Benghazi.
Federalist demonstrator Fawzi el-Zoueri said: “The National Assembly has a week to respond to our demands when the entire eastern region will gather in protest to demand the withdrawal of confidence from their representatives, and will demand a referendum to start the process of autonomy.”
Under the 1951 constitution Libya was divided into three regions; east, west and south. The system was overturned by the Gaddafi regime and federalists claim the east, which was the cradle of the revolution that overthrew him, was neglected under his rule.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 03:48 CET India hangs man convicted of 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts – TV
- 03:03 CET Authorities study debris found off Madagascar for links to MH370
- 02:30 CET U.S. says Europeans could help more in South China Sea dispute
- 02:01 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 00:49 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 00:14 CET Top U.S. general says Iran deal lowers near-term atomic arms risk
- 21:24 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 21:05 CET U.S. democratic presidential hopeful Clinton to call for lifting…