What will the outcome of the US presidential race mean for Europe? During Barack Obama’s tenure in the White House the economic crisis ensured that he remained engaged with the EU.
Mitt Romney has worried some European observers with hostile comments towards Russia and China, a hardline stance over Iran, and a pro-Israeli, anti-Palestinian approach.
Europe is not listed among the Republican candidate’s foreign policy priorities on his website.
Dr Ted R Bromund of the conservative think-tank the Heritage Foundation told euronews that Europe’s importance had declined.
‘‘I think Mitt Romney would focus a little bit more on Europe than President Obama has done, but I think the era of the US focusing on Europe as the most important part of the world has gone, regardless of whether Mitt Romney or Barack Obama is in the White House next year. That was a different era in US policy; Europe is at peace; it is losing economic importance vis-a-vis Asia. And naturally the United States is going to look at where there are foreign policy crises and where the economy is growing, instead of places where this is not true,’‘ he said.
Mitt Romney’s foreign trips have been noted for their gaffes: criticising London’s Olympic preparations, and describing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Yet some point out that campaign comments are often aimed at a domestic audience. Once in power US presidents tend to be reined in by practical reality.
Obama or Romney: some believe the winner’s identity is less important for Europe than the performance of the American economy.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:25 CET Mediators set May 15 deadline to sign Mali peace deal
- 17:06 CET U.S., allies focus on Iraq in latest air strikes – task force…
- 17:06 CET Norway asks Moscow to explain deputy PM’s island visit despite…
- 16:43 CET Islamic State shot and beheaded 30 Ethiopian Christians in Libya -…
- 16:05 CET Upset for Spain’s ruling party seen in stronghold Valencia – poll
- 15:51 CET Sudan’s youth activists battle restraints and apathy
- 15:50 CET Spain’s latest political upstart rides high on message of…
- 15:41 CET Sudan’s Bashir heads to Indonesia in rare long-distance trip