What will the outcome of the US presidential race mean for Europe? During Barack Obama’s tenure in the White House the economic crisis ensured that he remained engaged with the EU.
Mitt Romney has worried some European observers with hostile comments towards Russia and China, a hardline stance over Iran, and a pro-Israeli, anti-Palestinian approach.
Europe is not listed among the Republican candidate’s foreign policy priorities on his website.
Dr Ted R Bromund of the conservative think-tank the Heritage Foundation told euronews that Europe’s importance had declined.
‘‘I think Mitt Romney would focus a little bit more on Europe than President Obama has done, but I think the era of the US focusing on Europe as the most important part of the world has gone, regardless of whether Mitt Romney or Barack Obama is in the White House next year. That was a different era in US policy; Europe is at peace; it is losing economic importance vis-a-vis Asia. And naturally the United States is going to look at where there are foreign policy crises and where the economy is growing, instead of places where this is not true,’‘ he said.
Mitt Romney’s foreign trips have been noted for their gaffes: criticising London’s Olympic preparations, and describing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Yet some point out that campaign comments are often aimed at a domestic audience. Once in power US presidents tend to be reined in by practical reality.
Obama or Romney: some believe the winner’s identity is less important for Europe than the performance of the American economy.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 4Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 5Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:44 CET U.N. Secretary General troubled by Iraq abuse claims, refugees
- 17:28 CET Niger, Chad forces attack Boko Haram positions on Lake Chad -…
- 16:59 CET Turkish Airlines flight diverts to Morocco after bomb scare
- 16:51 CET Syrian military source alleges Turkish role in Idlib offensive
- 16:37 CET France’s Valls cancels ECB visit for post-election Socialist talks
- 16:31 CET Crash pilot previously had suicidal tendencies – German prosecutors
- 16:12 CET War crimes court revokes Serb nationalist Seselj’s compassionate…
- 16:08 CET Western Libya rocket strike kills one foreigner, wounds eight…