The President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso has offered Myanmar 78 million euros in EU development aid, as he became the most senior Western leader to visit the new capital Nay Pyi Taw.
He is the latest of several dignitaries from the West to meet President Thein Sein. It comes as Myanmar – also known as Burma – continues its reform programme.
At the huge parliament Barroso met its influential speaker Shwe Mann, a former senior general in Myanmar’s military junta and now also seen as a reformer.
State media have released details of a new foreign investment law. Approved after a long internal struggle, it gives significant incentives to overseas companies.
As did other leaders before him, Barroso also called in on Aung San Suu Kyi, whose new freedom after years of detention is seen as a symbol of the democratic process.
The opposition leader has refused to take sides in the communal conflict in Rakhine state that has forced 100,000 to leave their homes.
Around 90 people have been killed over the past week in violence between majority Buddhists and Muslim Rohingyas – described by the UN as one of the world’s most persecuted minorities.
Myanmar’s president has acknowledged that attitudes towards them must change.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 19:08 CET El Salvador detains ex-soldiers for 1989 Jesuit priest killings
- 19:06 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 19:04 CET Nations aim for Afghan peace talks with Taliban by end-February
- 18:44 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 18:06 CET Stade de France reopens for first time since Paris attacks
- 18:01 CET Hundreds more candidates allowed to contest Iran election
- 17:41 CET Five killed in Austrian avalanche – police
- 16:31 CET Critic of Vatican leaves its sexual abuse commission