The President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso has offered Myanmar 78 million euros in EU development aid, as he became the most senior Western leader to visit the new capital Nay Pyi Taw.
He is the latest of several dignitaries from the West to meet President Thein Sein. It comes as Myanmar – also known as Burma – continues its reform programme.
At the huge parliament Barroso met its influential speaker Shwe Mann, a former senior general in Myanmar’s military junta and now also seen as a reformer.
State media have released details of a new foreign investment law. Approved after a long internal struggle, it gives significant incentives to overseas companies.
As did other leaders before him, Barroso also called in on Aung San Suu Kyi, whose new freedom after years of detention is seen as a symbol of the democratic process.
The opposition leader has refused to take sides in the communal conflict in Rakhine state that has forced 100,000 to leave their homes.
Around 90 people have been killed over the past week in violence between majority Buddhists and Muslim Rohingyas – described by the UN as one of the world’s most persecuted minorities.
Myanmar’s president has acknowledged that attitudes towards them must change.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
Latest world news
Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
Ukraine and Russia clash again over gas pricing
Wires > News
- 05:49 CET Chicago calm a day after release of video of police shooting…
- 05:09 CET China pledges to work with Africa in fighting militancy after Mali…
- 04:27 CET Japan’s CO2 emissions fall 3 percent to three-year low in FY2014
- 04:10 CET Venezuela opposition activist shot dead, party says
- 03:08 CET Argentine president-elect taps ex-central banker as finance…
- 02:30 CET Thai graft, royal insult cases threaten to embroil junta
- 02:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic…
- 01:04 CET Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital – military