The United Nations has warned that an unverified video which appears to show Syrian rebels killing captured regime soldiers could constitute a war crime.
The footage was uploaded to social media sites on Thursday.
The alleged executions happened after rebels overran army checkpoints near the town of
Saraqib between Aleppo and Hammah.
The UN says it is attempting to confirm that the killings have taken place.
“Unfortunately this could be just the latest in a string of documented summary executions by opposition factions as well as by government forces and groups affiliated with them such as the Shabiha,” said Rupert Colville, the UN human rights spokesman.
Activists claim the Shabiha is a brutal militia which has been fighting alongside Syrian government forces. They’re accused of carrying out several massacres during the uprising.
But they appear to be among the victims in this video, as rebels refer to them in their commentary.
The men are forced to lay down on the ground before being beaten and shot.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 2Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 3Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 4Media respect called into question over Germanwings coverage
- 5Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:45 CET Philippines dismisses China concerns over South China Sea military…
- 09:15 CET At least 15 dead in Somalia hotel attack, militants say end siege
- 07:31 CET Japan is set to extend sanctions on North Korea – Nikkei
- 07:08 CET Crowds swell to bid farewell to Singapore’s founder Lee ahead of…
- 05:20 CET China’s Xi preaches peace in key note address
- 05:00 CET Delayed results show opposition conservatives win El Salvador vote
- 04:34 CET Amanda Knox acquitted of murder by Italy’s top court
- 03:40 CET Two Saudi pilots eject over Red Sea, rescued with U.S. help: state…