02/11/12 17:39 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Swing states, also named battleground states or purple states, are US states whose electoral votes are hotly contested between presidential candidates. Varying from one election to another, swing states systematically attract most of the investments, in terms of TV advertising and other resources, from candidates.
Pollsters and experts have identified the following swing states for the 2012 elections. The toss-up states are in dead heat while some others have started to lean left or right as Election Day nears.
9 electoral votes
Traditionally Republican (8 of the last 9 elections), the mountainous state of Colorado was won by Barack Obama in 2008. Last polls have Obama 50 – Romney 48.
29 electoral votes
While won by Obama in 2008, Florida is now slightly favouring his Republican opponent. The economic downturn and the vast numbers of conservative retirees in the Sunshine state give Romney 50 – Obama 49.
6 electoral votes
This rural state, where bio-fuels and farm subsidies are hot topics, voted for Obama in 2008. This year, the president keeps an edge, although polls vary. The New York Times’ polls analyst Nate Silver has Obama on 50% against 44% for Romney.
4 electoral votes
Democratic in 2008, this state is the only one in the deeply Democratic New England region susceptible to fall in Romney’s pocket. Last polls have Obama 48 – Romney 47.
18 electoral votes
This year, Ohio has been dubbed the swingiest of swing states. It is this campaign’s most coveted prize and is absolutely crucial in Romney’s plan to reach the magic number of 270. Candidates are sparing no expense. For instance, on November 2, Barack Obama on one side and Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan AND their respective wives on the other side were campaigning in the state. Last polls have Obama 48 – Romney 46.
13 electoral votes
Once staunchly conservative, the demographics of the state is changing due to a new commuting population that works in Washington DC and lives in Northern Virginia. Latest polls have Obama 49 – Romney 47.
10 electoral votes
Home state of the Republican vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan, it is not guaranteed that Wisconsin will turn red on November 6. Latest polls have Obama on 49% and Romney behind with 46%.
These states – Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Nevada and Pennsylvania – are likely to fall in Obama’s pocket but it won’t stop Romney from trying to score electoral votes here and there, like in Romney’s birth state of Michigan.
Arizona (11 electoral votes) and North Carolina (15 electoral votes) have seen efforts from Democrats to win them over but latest polls show them as leaning towards the Republicans, with respectively Obama 43% vs Romney 48% in Arizona and Obama 46% – Romney 50% in North Carolina.
© Etienne Barthomeuf
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Ahead of COP21, climate-change activists prepare to march on London
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Wires > News
- 15:42 CET Suicide car bomb kills five in northern Iraq
- 15:34 CET Experts optimistic Tut’s tomb may conceal Egypt’s lost queen
- 15:16 CET Police, migrants clash on Macedonia border; soldiers build fence
- 15:13 CET Ahead of climate summit, French use emergency laws to put…
- 15:12 CET Spain’s Rajoy vows to cut tax, create jobs if re-elected
- 14:59 CET China police bust online gun ring, seize 1,180 guns – Xinhua
- 14:54 CET Police fire tear gas on crowd of mourners in eastern Congo
- 14:45 CET Kenya arrests two Iranians suspected of planning attacks – ministry