02/11/12 00:23 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It may be the era of the internet and expensive television adverts but you can’t beat time honoured door-to-door canvassing for those vital votes.
With the presidential race in the final straight, volunteers are turning out to persuade, cajole and encourage every last supporter.
Both camps are targeting the crucial swing states where this election will be decided – Obama’s unprecedented “get-the-vote-out” operation worked for him in 2008 and it is a lesson not lost on the Republicans.
Professor of Political Science, Danny Hayes said:
“Whether one of the campaigns is more effective at turning out its voters, given that the election is extremely close, we’re on a razor’s edge right now, that could ultimately be the decisive factor on election day. And both the Romney and Obama campaigns I think are spending a lot of time right now making sure that their base of supporters get out and vote.”
With just days to go, both sides claim their efforts have led to an advantage in early voting numbers- which could amount to more than a third of all votes cast. But whether a real advantage exists won’t be known until the election on November 6.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 13:07 CET Europe presses Britain for quick exit to limit global fallout
- 13:01 CET Lebanese PM fears new wave of terrorism – minister
- 12:55 CET Afghan media groups decry rise in violence against journalists
- 12:42 CET Kremlin – mending ties with Turkey ‘not a matter of a few days’
- 12:35 CET French unions lead labour law protest before meeting PM
- 12:22 CET Turkey will not pay compensation over downed Russian jet – PM
- 12:19 CET No Syrian government attacks on Aleppo, Raqqa seen soon – Ifax…
- 12:17 CET With eye on China, Indonesian parliament approves higher defence…