It may be the era of the internet and expensive television adverts but you can’t beat time honoured door-to-door canvassing for those vital votes.
With the presidential race in the final straight, volunteers are turning out to persuade, cajole and encourage every last supporter.
Both camps are targeting the crucial swing states where this election will be decided – Obama’s unprecedented “get-the-vote-out” operation worked for him in 2008 and it is a lesson not lost on the Republicans.
Professor of Political Science, Danny Hayes said:
“Whether one of the campaigns is more effective at turning out its voters, given that the election is extremely close, we’re on a razor’s edge right now, that could ultimately be the decisive factor on election day. And both the Romney and Obama campaigns I think are spending a lot of time right now making sure that their base of supporters get out and vote.”
With just days to go, both sides claim their efforts have led to an advantage in early voting numbers- which could amount to more than a third of all votes cast. But whether a real advantage exists won’t be known until the election on November 6.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Norway terror threat raised
- 1EU targets top Russian officials in new sanctions
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Hamas announces new Gaza truce after Israel restarts military assault amid rocket fire
- 4Norway terror threat raised
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 10:46 CET Lavrov says Russia will not respond in kind to Western sanctions
- 09:56 CET Islamist militants kill 18 civilians in Philippines
- 09:45 CET Russia says hopeful Malaysia jet crash investigation will be…
- 09:39 CET Sri Lankan asylum seekers in Australia limbo could sue government
- 09:13 CET Pakistan mob kills woman, girls, over ‘blasphemous’ Facebook post
- 08:54 CET China says may have citizens fighting in Iraq
- 08:38 CET Australia cracks opens door to foreign submarine build
- 08:23 CET Australian police to renew bid to access Ukraine crash site