It may be the era of the internet and expensive television adverts but you can’t beat time honoured door-to-door canvassing for those vital votes.
With the presidential race in the final straight, volunteers are turning out to persuade, cajole and encourage every last supporter.
Both camps are targeting the crucial swing states where this election will be decided – Obama’s unprecedented “get-the-vote-out” operation worked for him in 2008 and it is a lesson not lost on the Republicans.
Professor of Political Science, Danny Hayes said:
“Whether one of the campaigns is more effective at turning out its voters, given that the election is extremely close, we’re on a razor’s edge right now, that could ultimately be the decisive factor on election day. And both the Romney and Obama campaigns I think are spending a lot of time right now making sure that their base of supporters get out and vote.”
With just days to go, both sides claim their efforts have led to an advantage in early voting numbers- which could amount to more than a third of all votes cast. But whether a real advantage exists won’t be known until the election on November 6.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 09:33 CET South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew, stowage as rescue…
- 09:03 CET At least nine Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide
- 07:57 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer