Appearing on the stump in Florida, US presidential hopeful Mitt Romney held back from his usual slew of attacks on Barack Obama. He staged a show of strength in what is the most populous swing state in the US, where polls give him a narrow lead.
His muted rhetoric is a sign of how the campaign has adjusted out of respect for the victims of Sandy:
“As you know, we’re — we’re going through trauma in a major part of the country. A kind of trauma you’ve experienced here in Florida more than once. And — and it’s interesting to see how people come together in a circumstance like this. We see folks from all over the country step forward and — and offer contributions, you see up on our screens, way to give to the Red Cross. So, please, if you have an extra dollar or two, send them along and keep the people who are in harm’s — have been in harm’s way, who’ve been damaged either personally or through their property, keep them in your — your thoughts and prayers”.
But other Republican speakers at the event, including former governor Jeb Bush, did not hold back.
The race is neck-and-neck with polling due to take place on the sixth of November.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal
- 02:39 CET Death row Christian woman flies out of Sudan, meets pope
- 02:12 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks