Residents living along the New Jersey coast are returning to devastated homes and communities after the area was one of the worst hit by Superstorm Sandy on Monday night.
Popular with tourists, the region is now littered with destroyed homes, beaches and even amusement parks.
There is already talk of how to redevelop responsibly in order to minimise future risks, but ordinary people are still reeling from losing their houses and businesses.
“Things like this happen in Missouri, they happen in California, they don’t happen here, this is not supposed to happen here, it’s terrible,” said one man, who broke down in tears.
Another tearful woman added: “It’s just complete devastation. My parents have lived here for 40 years and it’s unbelievable.”
In Sayreville, New Jersey, around 200 people had to be rescued – mainly by boat – and 130 of them are in shelters.
Analysts estimate damage from Sandy may cost the US more than 38 billion euros.
For now, the focus is on the clean-up and restoring electricity.
- 1Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 2Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Latest world news
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Wires > News
- 16:59 CET Donald Trump says Republican race all but over if he wins Indiana
- 16:04 CET Foreign minister reaffirms Japan’s economic ties to Thailand
- 15:43 CET Austrian chancellor booed at party rally after election drubbing
- 15:33 CET Russia says talks to extend Syrian lull in fighting to Aleppo
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…