Residents living along the New Jersey coast are returning to devastated homes and communities after the area was one of the worst hit by Superstorm Sandy on Monday night.
Popular with tourists, the region is now littered with destroyed homes, beaches and even amusement parks.
There is already talk of how to redevelop responsibly in order to minimise future risks, but ordinary people are still reeling from losing their houses and businesses.
“Things like this happen in Missouri, they happen in California, they don’t happen here, this is not supposed to happen here, it’s terrible,” said one man, who broke down in tears.
Another tearful woman added: “It’s just complete devastation. My parents have lived here for 40 years and it’s unbelievable.”
In Sayreville, New Jersey, around 200 people had to be rescued – mainly by boat – and 130 of them are in shelters.
Analysts estimate damage from Sandy may cost the US more than 38 billion euros.
For now, the focus is on the clean-up and restoring electricity.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks
- 23:28 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’
- 23:09 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 22:47 CET U.N. panel tells Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’