It was supposed to be gigantic Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ themed party to celebrate Halloween in the Spanish capital.
But the fun turned to tragedy when three young women were killed in a stampede as partygoers attempted to leave the Madrid Arena.
Witnesses say the panic began after a flare was thrown into the crowd. Others described a scene of chaos, with lots of screaming and some people fainting.
“There was a staircase. Then all of a sudden there was a rush of people and some of them stumbled; and there was a crush,” described one man who attended the party.
Another man said: “They did not say anything about the stampede inside the club. There was a moment when the music stopped, but nothing else. They didn’t announce that something had happened.”
A third man who was inside the arena was also unaware of the tragedy: “We didn’t notice anything. The party continued as normal and when the music stopped, people left at around 6.00 am which is the normal thing for a party.”
Local media said the three victims were aged between 18 and 25.
Two other woman are in a critical condition in hospital.
An investigation has begun to determine whether the 12,000 capacity venue was overcrowded.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as revolt threatens Corbyn leadership
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Millions sign referendum re-run petition
Wires > News
- 13:20 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, rocks Labour opposition
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:40 CET Iraqi forces retake Islamic State holdout in Falluja
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…