It was supposed to be gigantic Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ themed party to celebrate Halloween in the Spanish capital.
But the fun turned to tragedy when three young women were killed in a stampede as partygoers attempted to leave the Madrid Arena.
Witnesses say the panic began after a flare was thrown into the crowd. Others described a scene of chaos, with lots of screaming and some people fainting.
“There was a staircase. Then all of a sudden there was a rush of people and some of them stumbled; and there was a crush,” described one man who attended the party.
Another man said: “They did not say anything about the stampede inside the club. There was a moment when the music stopped, but nothing else. They didn’t announce that something had happened.”
A third man who was inside the arena was also unaware of the tragedy: “We didn’t notice anything. The party continued as normal and when the music stopped, people left at around 6.00 am which is the normal thing for a party.”
Local media said the three victims were aged between 18 and 25.
Two other woman are in a critical condition in hospital.
An investigation has begun to determine whether the 12,000 capacity venue was overcrowded.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:05 CET U.S. cautions Israel about settlement plans in East Jerusalem
- 21:52 CET Blasts rock Bulgarian explosives plant, casualties feared
- 21:50 CET Special Report – In ‘Umbrella Revolution,’ China confronts limits…
- 21:40 CET Kenyatta trial must probe witness tampering says activist
- 21:16 CET Up to 18 exposed to U.S. Ebola patient, including children
- 21:09 CET More than 100 ex-rebels, family members die in Congo camp – HRW
- 20:51 CET New Polish PM signals cautious approach on euro accession
- 20:49 CET Ex-NATO chief Rasmussen opens consultancy advising governments…