It was supposed to be gigantic Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ themed party to celebrate Halloween in the Spanish capital.
But the fun turned to tragedy when three young women were killed in a stampede as partygoers attempted to leave the Madrid Arena.
Witnesses say the panic began after a flare was thrown into the crowd. Others described a scene of chaos, with lots of screaming and some people fainting.
“There was a staircase. Then all of a sudden there was a rush of people and some of them stumbled; and there was a crush,” described one man who attended the party.
Another man said: “They did not say anything about the stampede inside the club. There was a moment when the music stopped, but nothing else. They didn’t announce that something had happened.”
A third man who was inside the arena was also unaware of the tragedy: “We didn’t notice anything. The party continued as normal and when the music stopped, people left at around 6.00 am which is the normal thing for a party.”
Local media said the three victims were aged between 18 and 25.
Two other woman are in a critical condition in hospital.
An investigation has begun to determine whether the 12,000 capacity venue was overcrowded.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:37 CET Police officers’ slaying raises pressure on New York mayor
- 20:06 CET Jordan hangs 11 after eight-year death penalty freeze
- 20:03 CET Tunisia’s Essebsi campaign claims vote victory
- 18:54 CET Obama says Sony hack not an act of war
- 18:03 CET Libya’s official government targets rival forces trying to seize…
- 17:47 CET Analysis – Economic issues whip up Israelis in chocolate pudding…
- 16:40 CET U.S.-led forces launch 13 air strikes in Iraq, three in Syria
- 16:18 CET Greek PM offers 2015 election once bailout talks complete