It was supposed to be gigantic Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ themed party to celebrate Halloween in the Spanish capital.
But the fun turned to tragedy when three young women were killed in a stampede as partygoers attempted to leave the Madrid Arena.
Witnesses say the panic began after a flare was thrown into the crowd. Others described a scene of chaos, with lots of screaming and some people fainting.
“There was a staircase. Then all of a sudden there was a rush of people and some of them stumbled; and there was a crush,” described one man who attended the party.
Another man said: “They did not say anything about the stampede inside the club. There was a moment when the music stopped, but nothing else. They didn’t announce that something had happened.”
A third man who was inside the arena was also unaware of the tragedy: “We didn’t notice anything. The party continued as normal and when the music stopped, people left at around 6.00 am which is the normal thing for a party.”
Local media said the three victims were aged between 18 and 25.
Two other woman are in a critical condition in hospital.
An investigation has begun to determine whether the 12,000 capacity venue was overcrowded.
- 1Medvedev: Syria, Ukraine and the economic crisis – an exclusive interview
- 2Turkish forces attack Syrian and Kurdish positions in northern Syria
- 3Syria would be ‘chaos’ if Assad ousted, says Medvedev
- 4Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
- 5Assad says he will take back “whole country” in interview
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad says he will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 3Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
Latest world news
Polls close in Central African Republic presidential run-off vote
Skiving worker ordered to pay 27,000 euros to Spanish employer
Women and children bear the brunt of violence in Afghanistan
Russia and US to boost cooperation to implement Syria ceasefire deal, says Kremlin
Turkish military shells Kurdish-backed positions in Syria for second day
Wires > News
- 23:36 CET Libya’s presidential council announces revised unity government
- 23:28 CET Obama urges Russia to stop bombing ‘moderate’ Syria rebels
- 22:36 CET Republicans gear up for U.S. Supreme Court battle after Scalia’s…
- 19:39 CET In poor, violent enclave of ´Saint Death´, Pope slams Mexico´s rich
- 19:19 CET Hariri says Lebanon will never be an ‘Iranian province’
- 18:41 CET No date set for Saudi king’s visit to Russia – SPA
- 18:19 CET U.S.‘s Kerry in Albania to encourage anti-corruption measures
- 18:15 CET Czech PM says ready to protect Balkan borders in migrant crisis