It was supposed to be gigantic Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ themed party to celebrate Halloween in the Spanish capital.
But the fun turned to tragedy when three young women were killed in a stampede as partygoers attempted to leave the Madrid Arena.
Witnesses say the panic began after a flare was thrown into the crowd. Others described a scene of chaos, with lots of screaming and some people fainting.
“There was a staircase. Then all of a sudden there was a rush of people and some of them stumbled; and there was a crush,” described one man who attended the party.
Another man said: “They did not say anything about the stampede inside the club. There was a moment when the music stopped, but nothing else. They didn’t announce that something had happened.”
A third man who was inside the arena was also unaware of the tragedy: “We didn’t notice anything. The party continued as normal and when the music stopped, people left at around 6.00 am which is the normal thing for a party.”
Local media said the three victims were aged between 18 and 25.
Two other woman are in a critical condition in hospital.
An investigation has begun to determine whether the 12,000 capacity venue was overcrowded.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 01:05 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 00:37 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…