It was supposed to be gigantic Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ themed party to celebrate Halloween in the Spanish capital.
But the fun turned to tragedy when three young women were killed in a stampede as partygoers attempted to leave the Madrid Arena.
Witnesses say the panic began after a flare was thrown into the crowd. Others described a scene of chaos, with lots of screaming and some people fainting.
“There was a staircase. Then all of a sudden there was a rush of people and some of them stumbled; and there was a crush,” described one man who attended the party.
Another man said: “They did not say anything about the stampede inside the club. There was a moment when the music stopped, but nothing else. They didn’t announce that something had happened.”
A third man who was inside the arena was also unaware of the tragedy: “We didn’t notice anything. The party continued as normal and when the music stopped, people left at around 6.00 am which is the normal thing for a party.”
Local media said the three victims were aged between 18 and 25.
Two other woman are in a critical condition in hospital.
An investigation has begun to determine whether the 12,000 capacity venue was overcrowded.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police
- 19:01 CET Thai junta gives security forces majority in interim legislature
- 18:55 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion due in U.S
- 18:25 CET China says Islamist militants kill pro-Beijing imam in Xinjiang
- 18:22 CET U.S. says hopeful of WTO deal with India only hours before deadline