It was supposed to be gigantic Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ themed party to celebrate Halloween in the Spanish capital.
But the fun turned to tragedy when three young women were killed in a stampede as partygoers attempted to leave the Madrid Arena.
Witnesses say the panic began after a flare was thrown into the crowd. Others described a scene of chaos, with lots of screaming and some people fainting.
“There was a staircase. Then all of a sudden there was a rush of people and some of them stumbled; and there was a crush,” described one man who attended the party.
Another man said: “They did not say anything about the stampede inside the club. There was a moment when the music stopped, but nothing else. They didn’t announce that something had happened.”
A third man who was inside the arena was also unaware of the tragedy: “We didn’t notice anything. The party continued as normal and when the music stopped, people left at around 6.00 am which is the normal thing for a party.”
Local media said the three victims were aged between 18 and 25.
Two other woman are in a critical condition in hospital.
An investigation has begun to determine whether the 12,000 capacity venue was overcrowded.
Wires > News
- 03:11 CET China’s Xi says hopes to get Philippines ties back on track
- 02:51 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korean official
- 01:55 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister quits over leaked recordings
- 01:42 CET Ohio zoo defends safety where boy climbed barrier and gorilla died
- 01:18 CET Rio de Janeiro police arrest two men in gang-rape case
- 00:35 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 23:51 CET Heavy air strikes on Syria’s Idlib kill and injure dozens – monitor
- 23:23 CET Netanyahu says willing to discuss Arab initiative for peace with…