French President François Hollande and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday visited the Jewish school in Toulouse where a gunman shot dead four people earlier this year.
Mohammed Merah gunned down a French Israeli rabbi and his three young children outside the Ozar Hatorah school in March.
“Jews in France should know that the Republic will do everything to protect them. Guaranteeing their safety is in our national interest,” Hollande said.
“It’s not an issue for Jews, but for all French citizens. This guarantee should be a priority in all schools, because no child should be scared of going to school.”
Netanyahu warned Jewish people would not be persecuted, before breaking into to song to sing “Israel will live”.
Mohamed Merah, a 23-year-old French citizen of Algerian origin, went on a ten-day killing spree that claimed a total of seven lives before he was shot dead by police.
He said he had been motivated by French foreign policy and a recent ban on the full veil.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 11:22 CET Iran is complying with nuclear deal with powers – IAEA
- 11:20 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.- Japan summit
- 10:39 CET India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining…
- 10:27 CET Japan makes two more oil payments to Iran – sources
- 10:04 CET Chinese police shoot man dead at checkpoint in Xinjiang
- 07:35 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident
- 07:06 CET Reports of e-cigarette injury jump amid rising popularity, …
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown