French President François Hollande and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday visited the Jewish school in Toulouse where a gunman shot dead four people earlier this year.
Mohammed Merah gunned down a French Israeli rabbi and his three young children outside the Ozar Hatorah school in March.
“Jews in France should know that the Republic will do everything to protect them. Guaranteeing their safety is in our national interest,” Hollande said.
“It’s not an issue for Jews, but for all French citizens. This guarantee should be a priority in all schools, because no child should be scared of going to school.”
Netanyahu warned Jewish people would not be persecuted, before breaking into to song to sing “Israel will live”.
Mohamed Merah, a 23-year-old French citizen of Algerian origin, went on a ten-day killing spree that claimed a total of seven lives before he was shot dead by police.
He said he had been motivated by French foreign policy and a recent ban on the full veil.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:52 CET Putin offered to divide Ukraine with Poland: Polish ex-minister
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 21:05 CET Chile ex-mayor arrested for Pinochet-era human rights crimes
- 20:18 CET U.S. calls ban on entry by six Hungarians a warning to clean up
- 20:15 CET UKIP, 5-Star welcome Polish radical to save EU voting bloc