With the US election dominated by the Democrat and Republican parties, in the political arena as well as in the media, it is easy to forget that other candidates are also running for President of the United-States. Here are four of them.
Virgil Goode – Constitution Party
Virigil Goode has been elected to the American Congress six times and was a member of the House of Representative from 1997 to 2009. He is running for president as candidate for the Constitution Party. This 66 year-old conservative says he is fighting for three different causes: defending marriage as a union between a man and a woman, declaring a moratorium on issuing immigration green cards, and limiting campaign donations to $200.
Jill Stein – Green Party
Jill Stein is a 62 year-old physician specialising in internal medicine and a fierce advocate for the environment. Running for president for the first time, she is the Green Party candidate. She campaigns for a “Green New Deal” and wants to bring solutions to the environment crisis. She spoke for marijuana legalisation during the last “small candidates” presidential debate in Chicago on October 23 against Rocky Anderson, Virgil Goode and Gary Johnson.
Rocky Anderson – Justice Party
Rocky Anderson used to be Democrat. He was Salt Lake City’s mayor from 2000 to 2008. At 61, he is running for the presidency as candidate and founder of the Justice Party. As a lawyer, he defends social, economic and environmental justice for all. He presents the Justice Party as a “political alternative” to the Democrat and Republican parties.
Gary Johnson – Libertarian Party
Gary Johnson, 59, is the official candidate for the Libertarian Party. He started his career young and quickly became a prosperous businessman in New Mexico. He was Governor of New Mexico from 1995 and 2003. In 2011 he announced himself as candidate in the Republican primaries but quit, encouraging his supporters to vote for Ron Paul. Gary Johnson is known as the “veto governor” because of the high number of times he used his gubernatorial veto. As a libertarian, he is in favour of limited government, free trade and strong individual freedom. He defends socially progressive views such as marijuana legalisation, contrary to Virgil Goode.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 14:03 CET South Africa’s government pledges transparency on nuclear agreement
- 13:49 CET Big guns in east Ukraine fall silent, two more die from wounds in…
- 13:39 CET Indonesia arrests alleged mastermind behind Orkim Harmony tanker…
- 13:19 CET French Socialists head for election rout
- 12:36 CET Migrants protest as Hungary shutters Budapest train station
- 12:30 CET China welcomes Sudan’s war crime-accused leader as ‘old friend’
- 12:25 CET Four killed, dozens wounded, in suicide attack on Pakistan forces
- 12:23 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year