US President Barack Obama has been touring parts of New Jersey hit by the superstorm Sandy.
Along with state governor Chris Christie he flew over devastated coastal areas that bore the brunt when the weather system made landfall.
Almost six-million people are still without power in the north-east region of the US, and Governor Christie warned that it could be ten days before everyone is re-connected.
In neighbouring New York there are signs that life is slowly returning to normal. Subway trains are restarting services, though not yet in the southern part of Manhattan.
The city’s mayor has said most bridges and tunnels will only be open to vehicles carrying three or more people.
Some estimates put the cost of the damage at 15-billion euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Blackout: Gaza’s only power plant destroyed by Israeli tank attack
- 4Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 5Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 18:42 CET Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- 18:25 CET Air France, Virgin among airlines avoiding Iraqi airspace
- 18:09 CET U.S. nuclear negotiator will not guarantee end to Iran extensions
- 17:31 CET U.S.-Iran nuclear negotiator ‘concerned’ about detention of…
- 16:22 CET Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- 16:15 CET Suspect in Jewish Museum attack extradited to Belgium
- 15:46 CET Colombia’s Marxist ELN rebels to blame for explosions – police
- 15:38 CET Ex-Catalan chief Pujol stripped of titles in Spain tax scandal