The force is certainly with American filmmaker George Lucas, who has sold his Lucasfilm outfit to Walt Disney for over four billion dollars.
Lucas will get half in cash, and 40 million Walt Disney shares. The sale involves all of Lucas’s film companies, including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker sound.
Current co-chairwoman Kathleen Kennedy will become president of the new company.
“I think it’ll give me the chance to go off and explore my own interests and at the same time feel completely confident that Disney will take care of the franchise I’ve built.”
Walt Disney says the seventh Star Wars movie is due for release in 2015.
For the Disney empire it is their latest foray into buying other’s properties, after their buying the entire Marvel comic book catalogue in 2009.
Cartoon by Etienne Bartomeuf & Raf
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET France’s Hollande says ready to hold new summit on Boko Haram
- 00:35 CET Yemen’s Houthis attack Saudi Arabia’s Najran and Jizan
- 00:19 CET At least 25 Syrian al Qaeda members dead in mosque blast in…
- 00:15 CET Rockets land in Israel, Egypt’s IS affiliate claims responsibility
- 00:12 CET Car bombs explode in Libya’s Derma, at least six killed
- 23:26 CET Top choice blocked for U.N. digital privacy investigator post
- 23:11 CET Catholic Church should not have ‘leaders for life’, Pope says
- 23:00 CET Turkey’s Erdogan moots possibility of snap election