The force is certainly with American filmmaker George Lucas, who has sold his Lucasfilm outfit to Walt Disney for over four billion dollars.
Lucas will get half in cash, and 40 million Walt Disney shares. The sale involves all of Lucas’s film companies, including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker sound.
Current co-chairwoman Kathleen Kennedy will become president of the new company.
“I think it’ll give me the chance to go off and explore my own interests and at the same time feel completely confident that Disney will take care of the franchise I’ve built.”
Walt Disney says the seventh Star Wars movie is due for release in 2015.
For the Disney empire it is their latest foray into buying other’s properties, after their buying the entire Marvel comic book catalogue in 2009.
Cartoon by Etienne Bartomeuf & Raf
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 10:14 CET Indonesia’s Prabowo faces uncertain fate in opposition
- 09:55 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 09:47 CET Clashes in Libya’s Benghazi kill at least nine
- 09:40 CET Attack on bus in Iraq kills 51 prisoners, nine police
- 09:37 CET Disenchanted with Putin, some Russians vote with their feet
- 09:30 CET Taiwan says weather not seen as cause of plane crash that killed 48
- 09:20 CET U.N. urges sustained effort to improve flagging development
- 09:12 CET Train rams school bus in southern India, kills 13