The force is certainly with American filmmaker George Lucas, who has sold his Lucasfilm outfit to Walt Disney for over four billion dollars.
Lucas will get half in cash, and 40 million Walt Disney shares. The sale involves all of Lucas’s film companies, including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker sound.
Current co-chairwoman Kathleen Kennedy will become president of the new company.
“I think it’ll give me the chance to go off and explore my own interests and at the same time feel completely confident that Disney will take care of the franchise I’ve built.”
Walt Disney says the seventh Star Wars movie is due for release in 2015.
For the Disney empire it is their latest foray into buying other’s properties, after their buying the entire Marvel comic book catalogue in 2009.
Cartoon by Etienne Bartomeuf & Raf
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Mystery in the heart of Paris as cocaine stash goes missing from police HQ
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 01:02 CET NATO must change to better repel Russian threat – Cameron
- 22:40 CET African leaders agree steps to fight runaway Ebola outbreak
- 22:36 CET Obama says that after 9/11, ‘we tortured some folks’
- 21:35 CET North Korea accuses U.N. Security Council of double standards
- 20:24 CET Ten killed in clashes between Azeris, ethnic Armenians
- 19:58 CET Insight: Collateral damage – How Iran sanctions fears hurt…
- 18:14 CET Doubts surface about India’s Modi after trade deal scuppered
- 17:26 CET Ugandan court overturns anti-gay law that halted Western aid