Despite the election being less than a week away, storm Sandy has blown the US presidential campaign off course.
President Barack Obama cancelled his travel plans and returned to the White House to personally oversee the relief operation.
He later visited the Red Cross in Washington calling for a coordinated effort:
“My message to the Federal government, no bureaucracy, no red tape, get ressources where they’re needed as fast as possible, as hard as possible and for the duration; because the recovery process in a place like New Jersey is gonna take a significant amount of time, the recovery process in Lower Manhattan is gonna take a lot of time.”
A planned Republican rally in Ohio was hastily rearranged into a storm relief effort that saw residents donate food another other supplies to the victims.
Republican opponent Mitt Romney urged people to be generous in their support:
“We wont be able to solve all the problems with our effort this morning. There are a lot of people that will still be looking for goods. But I know, one of the things I learned in life is – you make the difference you can.”
Romney stayed behind to help load a truck with tinned food to be sent to a distribution centre in New Jersey.
On Wednesday Obama will visit areas worst hit by the storm while Romney travels to Florida to continue campaigning.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Turkish CCTV images show British girls on their way to join ISIL
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:40 CET Trial to push for better flight tracking a year after MH370
- 05:33 CET Hopes for peaceful Russian transition fade with Nemtsov – Kasparov
- 05:31 CET Setting aside rancour over Hong Kong, China welcomes Prince William
- 05:25 CET Iraq launches offensive on Islamic State
- 05:21 CET Australia bars travel to Mosul ahead of planned offensive
- 05:01 CET North Korea ending Ebola travel restrictions – tour firms
- 04:35 CET North Korea, angered by drills, fires short-range missiles off…
- 03:17 CET The mysterious Mr. Ri returns, urbane survivor of North Korea purge