Despite the election being less than a week away, storm Sandy has blown the US presidential campaign off course.
President Barack Obama cancelled his travel plans and returned to the White House to personally oversee the relief operation.
He later visited the Red Cross in Washington calling for a coordinated effort:
“My message to the Federal government, no bureaucracy, no red tape, get ressources where they’re needed as fast as possible, as hard as possible and for the duration; because the recovery process in a place like New Jersey is gonna take a significant amount of time, the recovery process in Lower Manhattan is gonna take a lot of time.”
A planned Republican rally in Ohio was hastily rearranged into a storm relief effort that saw residents donate food another other supplies to the victims.
Republican opponent Mitt Romney urged people to be generous in their support:
“We wont be able to solve all the problems with our effort this morning. There are a lot of people that will still be looking for goods. But I know, one of the things I learned in life is – you make the difference you can.”
Romney stayed behind to help load a truck with tinned food to be sent to a distribution centre in New Jersey.
On Wednesday Obama will visit areas worst hit by the storm while Romney travels to Florida to continue campaigning.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Israeli launches night time air strikes on Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 11:54 CET China’s war games don’t faze Japan but disrupt civilian air traffic
- 10:54 CET South Africa metals workers start returning to job after four-week…
- 10:47 CET Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine amid fierce fighting
- 10:22 CET U.S. judge signs order to seize Kurdish oil from tanker off Texas
- 10:19 CET Insight – Gold, diamonds feed Central African religious violence
- 09:30 CET Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama