Five of the 16 people confirmed dead across the US and Canada killed by Storm Sandy lost their lives in New York.
Streets in the city filled with water, worrying some that the closed subway system would be deluged. At least seven stations have been covered in water.
US President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster in New York and Long Island.
A surge of nearly four metres in the sea coupled with high tides from a full moon caused record levels of water in Manhattan, southern Brooklyn and southern Queens.
Utility workers trapped by rising water inside a power station in lower Manhattan had to be rescued with inflatable boats.
Flooding even caused high alert at a New Jersey nuclear power plant.
“You would never think this would happen in New York, so the best we could do now is not to panic. The NYPD (New York Police Department) is doing all they can. They have a lot of patrol cars going to every single block. People just have to stay civil,” said stranded in Manhattan resident Rohit Massy.
During the night, more than 200 patients, including 20 infants from the neonatal intensive care unit, had to be evacuated from a New York University hospital due to a power cut and the failure of a back-up generator.
The largest storm to hit mainland America brought fire as well as water. At least 25 people had to be rescued from a series of blazes at apartment blocks in Queens. Strong winds spread the flames and prevented fire engines getting close.
Millions of people are without power, and authorities say the lights could stay off for more than a week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 18#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:05 CET U.S. cautions Israel about settlement plans in East Jerusalem
- 21:52 CET Blasts rock Bulgarian explosives plant, casualties feared
- 21:50 CET Special Report – In ‘Umbrella Revolution,’ China confronts limits…
- 21:40 CET Kenyatta trial must probe witness tampering says activist
- 21:16 CET Up to 18 exposed to U.S. Ebola patient, including children
- 21:09 CET More than 100 ex-rebels, family members die in Congo camp – HRW
- 20:51 CET New Polish PM signals cautious approach on euro accession
- 20:49 CET Ex-NATO chief Rasmussen opens consultancy advising governments…