Five of the 16 people confirmed dead across the US and Canada killed by Storm Sandy lost their lives in New York.
Streets in the city filled with water, worrying some that the closed subway system would be deluged. At least seven stations have been covered in water.
US President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster in New York and Long Island.
A surge of nearly four metres in the sea coupled with high tides from a full moon caused record levels of water in Manhattan, southern Brooklyn and southern Queens.
Utility workers trapped by rising water inside a power station in lower Manhattan had to be rescued with inflatable boats.
Flooding even caused high alert at a New Jersey nuclear power plant.
“You would never think this would happen in New York, so the best we could do now is not to panic. The NYPD (New York Police Department) is doing all they can. They have a lot of patrol cars going to every single block. People just have to stay civil,” said stranded in Manhattan resident Rohit Massy.
During the night, more than 200 patients, including 20 infants from the neonatal intensive care unit, had to be evacuated from a New York University hospital due to a power cut and the failure of a back-up generator.
The largest storm to hit mainland America brought fire as well as water. At least 25 people had to be rescued from a series of blazes at apartment blocks in Queens. Strong winds spread the flames and prevented fire engines getting close.
Millions of people are without power, and authorities say the lights could stay off for more than a week.
Latest world news
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirms he will step down at AK Party Congress on 22 May
Voting underway across the UK on ‘Super Thursday’
Dilma’s impeachment moves one step closer as commission backs removal
Panama babies born with microcephaly linked to Zika
euronews visits frontline village in Syria
Wires > News
- 16:57 CET Women’s wisdom crucial to beating climate change, researchers say
- 16:43 CET Irish foreign minister says no deal yet on new government
- 16:41 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump for…
- 16:23 CET Italy PM Renzi’s ally, Tiscali head, convicted of tax evasion
- 16:16 CET Greek parliament to vote on tax, pension reforms before Eurogroup…
- 15:58 CET Italy, Germany ‘totally’ opposed to Austria border plans – Renzi
- 15:53 CET Japan PM Abe says would like Russia’s Putin to visit Japan
- 15:47 CET Nepal crisis averted as Maoists remain in coalition