Five of the 16 people confirmed dead across the US and Canada killed by Storm Sandy lost their lives in New York.
Streets in the city filled with water, worrying some that the closed subway system would be deluged. At least seven stations have been covered in water.
US President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster in New York and Long Island.
A surge of nearly four metres in the sea coupled with high tides from a full moon caused record levels of water in Manhattan, southern Brooklyn and southern Queens.
Utility workers trapped by rising water inside a power station in lower Manhattan had to be rescued with inflatable boats.
Flooding even caused high alert at a New Jersey nuclear power plant.
“You would never think this would happen in New York, so the best we could do now is not to panic. The NYPD (New York Police Department) is doing all they can. They have a lot of patrol cars going to every single block. People just have to stay civil,” said stranded in Manhattan resident Rohit Massy.
During the night, more than 200 patients, including 20 infants from the neonatal intensive care unit, had to be evacuated from a New York University hospital due to a power cut and the failure of a back-up generator.
The largest storm to hit mainland America brought fire as well as water. At least 25 people had to be rescued from a series of blazes at apartment blocks in Queens. Strong winds spread the flames and prevented fire engines getting close.
Millions of people are without power, and authorities say the lights could stay off for more than a week.
- 1Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3France: Student held over ‘church attack plot’
- 4Russia’s Lavrov calls EU charges against Gazprom ‘unacceptable’
- 5Turkey insists it has nothing to hide on 100-year-old Armenian tragedy
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
Wires > News
- 02:49 CET Jailed opposition mayor may be granted home arrest in Venezuela
- 01:01 CET Israeli forces shoot and kill Palestinian armed with knives
- 00:36 CET U.N. chief urges Myanmar to address Muslims’ status ahead of vote
- 23:46 CET U.S. pro-Israel lobby opposes push to toughen Iran nuclear bill
- 23:13 CET No decision yet on Mistral, France’s Hollande says
- 22:42 CET Pakistani human rights activist shot dead in Karachi
- 22:39 CET Colombia’s FARC rebels say peace deal cannot be rushed
- 22:30 CET Statue of Liberty deemed safe after bomb threat – media reports