More than twelve people are now known to have lost their lives in the violent winds and rain from Hurricane Sandy.
Experts say the storm, which has a diameter of 1000 kilometres, is one of the worst to have hit the eastern seaboard of the United States. New Jersey and New York State are bearing the brunt.
In Manhattan, the storm surge caused an explosion trapping nineteen workers inside a power plant.
“The time to leave has passed, do not go outside, it is still very dangerous. And from now until the storm is well passed you just have to shelter in place. You need to stay whereever you are, let me repeat that, you have to stay wherever you are.” said New York City Mayor, Michael Bloomberg.
In New Jersey, three million people have been left without electricity and life has been disrupted for millions more.
A nuclear reactor in upstate New York has been shut down due to difficulties supplying the national grid, although it is not yet clear if this is a problem caused by the storm. The overall damage estimate so far has been put at 10 to 20 billion dollars or 7-15 billion euros.
The repair bill for Hurricane Katrina in 2005 topped 60 billion dollars, making it the costliest natural disaster in the US to date.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Israeli launches night time air strikes on Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 14:24 CET At least 30 people killed in Libya’s Benghazi in heavy fighting
- 13:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 quake hits Mexico, no major damages or injuries
- 13:37 CET Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine in fierce fighting
- 13:33 CET Islamic State video wages psychological war on Iraqi soldiers
- 12:51 CET Philippines to propose no action to raise tension in sea disputes
- 12:36 CET Special Report – Where Ukraine’s separatists get their weapons
- 11:54 CET China’s war games don’t faze Japan but disrupt civilian air traffic
- 10:54 CET South Africa metals workers start returning to job after four-week…