The opposition claim that the numbers show that they were the real winners.
The party of the jailed former prime minister Julia Tymochenko, Fatherland, had formed an opposition alliance to show a more united front to the president.
They campaigned saying that corruption, lawlessness and low pay were all evils represented by President Yanukovich.
The party leader Arseny Yatseniuk said: “The exit poll results show it is absolutely clear that the Ukrainian people support the opposition and not the authorities. It is most important now that the polls are closed and the votes are being counted, that there should be no falsification. The vote count in every single constituency is essential.”
The combined weight of Fatherland and the centre-right UDAR party of the boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko would appear to outpunch the ruling Party of Regions.
UDAR’s campaign leader Vitaly Kovalchuk said: “We will propose to our colleagues in opposition, first of all, to Fatherland, a plan of joint action aimed at reinforcing Ukraine’s movement toward Europe, and steering Ukraine on the path of democratic development.”
euronews correspondent in Kyiv, Evguenia Rudenko, reported from UDAR headquarters where she said: “The disenchantment with the exit polls was palpable. The party leader has alleged mass fraud, and now everybody is awaiting the official results from the Electoral Commission.”
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 21:08 CET Italy arrests 11 in search for Sicilian mafia boss of bosses
- 21:01 CET Sweden expels Russian diplomat, Moscow makes tit-for-tat move
- 20:47 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 20:43 CET Obama says no challenge greater threat to U.S. future than climate…
- 19:26 CET Immigrants in Germany swell to record high 11 million
- 19:11 CET U.N. chief says Obama power plan key ahead of climate change talks
- 18:59 CET Brazil police arrest Lula minister in bribery scandal
- 18:36 CET U.S., allies stage 29 air strikes against Islamic State – statement