A Catholic church in northern Nigeria that was full of worshippers has been targeted by a suicide bomber who drove a jeep into it on Sunday morning.
The bomber aimed the vehicle at the wall of the packed church of St Rita in the ethnically and religiously mixed city of Kaduna.
At least eight people died and more than 100 were injured. At least two further people were killed in reprisal attacks.
“I saw a jeep coming down,” said one eyewitness,“and a Volkswagen Golf was chasing after it in reverse. When I asked, I was told that the jeep crashed into the bumper of the Golf. The next thing, I saw the guy go through the fence of the church, the next thing, I saw myself in darkness.”
The injured are being treated in the local hospital.
No one has admitted being behind the attack, but the Islamist sect Boko Haram has bombed several churches in the past in its fight to create an Islamic state.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 13:08 CET Suspected Islamist militants kill 44 in central Nigeria city Jos
- 12:40 CET Islamic State regains town near Syria’s Raqqa after air strikes -…
- 12:31 CET China downplays Hillary Clinton claim it hacked U.S. information
- 12:22 CET Cameron’s fight against militancy leads to battle over freedoms
- 12:13 CET Iraqi jet mistakenly bombs Baghdad district, five killed
- 11:16 CET Philippines confirms second MERS case
- 10:57 CET China says Xinjiang has no ‘ethnic problem’ after Turkey protests
- 10:02 CET Singaporean blogger sentenced to jail time already served