A Catholic church in northern Nigeria that was full of worshippers has been targeted by a suicide bomber who drove a jeep into it on Sunday morning.
The bomber aimed the vehicle at the wall of the packed church of St Rita in the ethnically and religiously mixed city of Kaduna.
At least eight people died and more than 100 were injured. At least two further people were killed in reprisal attacks.
“I saw a jeep coming down,” said one eyewitness,“and a Volkswagen Golf was chasing after it in reverse. When I asked, I was told that the jeep crashed into the bumper of the Golf. The next thing, I saw the guy go through the fence of the church, the next thing, I saw myself in darkness.”
The injured are being treated in the local hospital.
No one has admitted being behind the attack, but the Islamist sect Boko Haram has bombed several churches in the past in its fight to create an Islamic state.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 3Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 04:30 CET Australian Islamic State recruiter killed in U.S. strike in Iraq
- 03:15 CET Stubborn Shanghai residents hold a line drawn in rubble
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom
- 01:25 CET Ageing Thailand takes toll on indebted households
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…