A Catholic church in northern Nigeria that was full of worshippers has been targeted by a suicide bomber who drove a jeep into it on Sunday morning.
The bomber aimed the vehicle at the wall of the packed church of St Rita in the ethnically and religiously mixed city of Kaduna.
At least eight people died and more than 100 were injured. At least two further people were killed in reprisal attacks.
“I saw a jeep coming down,” said one eyewitness,“and a Volkswagen Golf was chasing after it in reverse. When I asked, I was told that the jeep crashed into the bumper of the Golf. The next thing, I saw the guy go through the fence of the church, the next thing, I saw myself in darkness.”
The injured are being treated in the local hospital.
No one has admitted being behind the attack, but the Islamist sect Boko Haram has bombed several churches in the past in its fight to create an Islamic state.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…