French President François Hollande has been meeting with the heads of the World Bank, IMF, and other top economic bodies at the OECD headquarters in Paris.
It comes at a time when Hollande is attempting to lead the eurozone towards a more growth-led response to the financial crisis than the current austerity-dominated approach. He is having trouble convincing France’s major partner Germany and its leader Angela Merkel.
“The eurozone is on the point of coming out of the crisis of uncertainty and instability, but we are not at the end of the road yet. We need mechanisms, rules, and above all, action,” said Hollande.
Everyone here then joins Angela Merkel for talks on Tuesday in Berlin as the laborious process of dragging the euro back from the brink continues.
France’s share of the global market has fallen from 6.2% in 1990 to 3.6% today, and to arrest that decline Hollande has promised to restore competitiveness, and shift part of the tax burden away from employers onto employees.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 17:57 CET UK FTSE posts biggest one-day fall in over a week
- 17:43 CET General Electric names Beth Comstock as vice chair
- 17:10 CET Global factory growth at two-year low – PMI
- 16:59 CET Apple explores move into original programming business – Variety
- 16:21 CET China stock probes send shivers through investment community
- 16:19 CET Oil falls more than 4 percent on weak Chinese data
- 15:41 CET National laws hamper ECB’s work as single supervisor – ECB Dickson
- 15:35 CET British peer-to-peer lender Zopa appoints Janardana as CEO